German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i for one, hope they dont ban any breeds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, but I'm torn on this issue. My neighbor has a pit bull mix and it's a sweetheart. Had to care for it while they were on vacation and it stayed asleep while I went in the house and filled it's supper bowl.
But then I hear horrifying stories of kids dying because it a pit bull literally tore them apart. Maybe we could ban their owners!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, but I'm torn on this issue. My neighbor has a pit bull mix and it's a sweetheart. Had to care for it while they were on vacation and it stayed asleep while I went in the house and filled it's supper bowl.
But then I hear horrifying stories of kids dying because it a pit bull literally tore them apart. Maybe we could ban their owners!

i'm all for banning the owners. the media blows things way out of proportion. Think of it like this. If breed bans continue, starting with the pit bulls, what breed is next? have to do what we can to stop the ignorance before it spreads further

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't live in Douglas county, but I worry that they may set a precedent. I believe they are talking about possibly adding in other breeds. I don't think BSL is the answer, as others have said you need to look at the owners. If not Pit Bulls, it will be another breed. I have had a number of negative experiences last year with Pit Bulls in my own complex. I want to see owners showing more responsibility for whatever breed they own.

Kristina

·
Registered
316 Posts
I usually dont get involved in these type of discussions
since emotions can run pretty high on this subject.
Anyway...here is my take on it.

A pit bull (or any powerful breed) is no more dangerous
than a handgun. A gun, sitting all by itself, wont harm
a soul. Even if its loaded. Even if carried concealed
(in states that allow that) a loaded gun is not dangerous
IN THE RIGHT HANDS.

In the wrong hands a gun can kill. In the wrong hands
a dog can kill. Its not the dog or the gun. Its the people
that misuse use them through ignorance or negligence.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In the '80's, I rode dirt bikes. Oh no; bad for the environment. We must ban them from public lands.

In the '90's, I was a competitive shooter (well, not very competitive, but I entered events). AHHH! GUNS! We must ban them!

In 1985 I got my first German Shepherd. Got my first Schutzhund dog in 2003. And now the (self-censored) want to ban them.

I think we should ban these idiots whose first reaction to any problem is to ban something. I am getting really, REALLY fed up with these people. Most of the time, it's the same bunch running from subject to subject, trying to ban things.

Get a rope. :mad:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Back when I was considering breeds, I mentioned Pit Bull to my father. He didn't even give me a chance to argue, the first word out of his mouth was "No".

I'm not in support of the breed ban, BUT something should be done about the constant pit bull attacks. I dunno, maybe make it illegal to own a pit bull unless you're a certain age with a certain background?

I just watched Animal Planet's Dogs 101 about Pit Bulls. They were bred to fight. So you're right, it all depends on the owner. If the owner knows what they are doing, then it's all right.

Personally, after seeing and watching Dogs 101, I wouldn't want a Pit Bull. German Shepherds can be vicious but a Pit Bull was made to be vicious. Maybe in the future when the breed's temperament is better, but I think a Pit Bull is too dangerous to be a family dog. I'm not saying all Pits will attack, but the chance of them attacking is so high.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
its all about the owner and training, having tested and passed pit bulls for T.D.Inc, nothing is wrong with the breed, just the people at the other end of the leash

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at all the Vick Pits that were adopted out - shows that in the right hands these are just as good of dog (if not better) than any other. I love Pits :D They really have a good personality and temperament. They love people! And they were not bred to fight people or attack people....the word "people" gets left off after the word attack so many times.

And of course we know "Pit" is just a generalization since there is no "Pit" breed :eek:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I say put the owners down then that would solve the issue I think. If they teach their dogs to fight and they fight them and their dog bites someone, then the dog and the owner should be put down together. I think we might stop some of the nonsense.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
what gets me is in most cases is despite all the people who are against BSL rarely do anything to fight against it. I mean, i can tell you one thing.... you ban my chosen breed or try to, i'm sure going to fight it. Its nonsense. "they" refuse to do anything they actually say they will do such as regulate owners. There are tons of things that can be done. If the media werent so insistant on showing the negative on everything, i think more people wouldnt be so dead set against certain things and breeds. I've never met a bad/mean pit bull in my life. I guess i'm considered lucky. i dont agree with breed bans. Never have. never will. Some people can handle certain breeds while others cant. There are certain people who should NEVER have certain breeds while there are others who can because they are responsible and knowledgable. I would have a pit bull. I know what it takes to socialize them and train them. I feel if the media were to do a story on say... service dogs that involve the breeds (pits, akitas, dobermans, GSDs, ect.) that most people would consider bad, it might help put these dogs in a more positive light. I've met several therapy dogs who were breeds people tend to be more apprehensive about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
KZoppa, you make a good point. It may be just my imagination, but the situation involving breed banning does seem to be a bit better now than it was 8 or 10 years ago. In the aftermath of the Vick ordeal, I think the public has been educated a bit more about these dogs. And I know that many people don't subscribe to the Dog Whisperer's methods, but his pit, Daddy, certainly has been a good ambassador for these types of dogs. Unfortunately, the situations which lead to breed ban legislation don't have an easy one shot solution.
Jim

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I am against ANY BAN ON ANY BREED OF DOG. The only people who should be banned are the idiot owners, the people who abuse animals. Pitbull Mixes are one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met.

Since I volunteer at a shelter the most asked question I get asked is "Aren't you scared of the Pitbulls?" I answer "Yes, I am scared to be licked death!":D;)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
People always hear the stories about people being ripped apart by pits. But did anyone hear about the story of the stray bully who protected a stranger with her 3 year old son from a robber? The stray bully chased the robber down the street, and then when she was putting her son in the car, the dog jumped in the back seat right next to the little boy.

It's THOSE stories you never hear about. The media thrives on negativity. I found that story in a little article buried in webpages.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
People always hear the stories about people being ripped apart by pits. But did anyone hear about the story of the stray bully who protected a stranger with her 3 year old son from a robber? The stray bully chased the robber down the street, and then when she was putting her son in the car, the dog jumped in the back seat right next to the little boy.

It's THOSE stories you never hear about. The media thrives on negativity. I found that story in a little article buried in webpages.
I heard about that one too! I showed my mom, and she was said "I guess I was wrong about them."

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Back when I was considering breeds, I mentioned Pit Bull to my father. He didn't even give me a chance to argue, the first word out of his mouth was "No".

I'm not in support of the breed ban, BUT something should be done about the constant pit bull attacks. I dunno, maybe make it illegal to own a pit bull unless you're a certain age with a certain background?
The 'constant pit bull attacks' are rarely a real pit bull(APBT), in fact I've yet to see a dog who looks like anything more than a bully breed mutt when there's an attack. Recently an american bulldog kennel had an accident where their male killed their little daughter. These are pure-bred American Bulldogs, but the media reported it as Pit Bulls, they even made up things in the article that were 100% false (such as the AKC registering APBTs).
I just watched Animal Planet's Dogs 101 about Pit Bulls. They were bred to fight. So you're right, it all depends on the owner. If the owner knows what they are doing, then it's all right.
Over on the pit bull forums, we were all moaning when we saw Dogs 101 on APBTs.. Their info was so wrong, and so ignorant it hurt me to see it.

Personally, after seeing and watching Dogs 101, I wouldn't want a Pit Bull. German Shepherds can be vicious but a Pit Bull was made to be vicious. Maybe in the future when the breed's temperament is better, but I think a Pit Bull is too dangerous to be a family dog. I'm not saying all Pits will attack, but the chance of them attacking is so high.
Bred to be vicious, what does this mean? German Shepherds were bred to protect and herd livestock and property, Bulldogs were bred for dog on dog combat and for handleability/stability with handlers, meaning no human aggression.
Replies in bold.

I suggest you watch both vids in my signature to get some idea of what a pit even is..

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
its all about the owner and training, having tested and passed pit bulls for T.D.Inc, nothing is wrong with the breed, just the people at the other end of the leash
Not always.. There are dogs in any breed who are just weak-tempered or unstable. I own a GSD like this now.. He's horrible temperament has nothing to do with his upbringing or training.. And I had a bully breed mutt before who tried to bite someone (she's dead now), but she was always snakey and who knows what her breeding was.

It comes down to genetics/good breeding, the individual dog and good owners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts