German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First time GSD owner (already owned English bulldogs) supplements I can give my 11 month old GSD. Can I also give him Vit C? I give my English Bulldog Vit C, fish oil and coconut oil. Also do you guys recommend Cosequin supplements (Costco) thank you!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hello. First time GSD owner (already owned English bulldogs) supplements I can give my 11 month old GSD.

I can't answer about the Vitamin C, but everyone here does something different and everyone has an opinion about whether it works or not. Generally as long as you aren't giving them something that will harm them, it can't hurt (expect maybe our wallets haha). Kairos is fed a solid, quality base meal and receives third-party tested Fish oil, Vitamin E (to go with the fish oil), and cosequin. I did not start her on the joint supplement until very recently now that she is nearly a year old, and may have waited longer (see first what her X rays in 8 or so more months looks like) but my older dog already receives it for joint problems so I had it on hand.

·
Registered
Ilita Von Cluskey, DOB 11/7/21
951 Posts
We give a small amount of Vit C daily to our young puppy. It is 'controversial' as dogs produce Vit C themselves. The controversy stems from whether they produce enough. But it can't hurt and may help joint health, so we are adding it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon, I think it’s better to contact a veterinarian about this, we asked our own, he didn’t recommend it to us, because dogs themselves produce vitamin C.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on supplements but I do give a couple. I feed Royal Canin which my vet says has everything they need in it so for my guys I figure less is more. I was recommended a joint supplement and omega 3 supplement for Whiskey after his spinal clot (helps with nerve regeneration I guess?) so those are what I give. The rehab vet was giving me flexadin but it's hard to find without driving to the vet's office so I've been using cosequin for him. No idea if it helps but the vet said it can't hurt! Nova also gets both of these now that she's a year but I didn't give her anything as a pup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I once had a bulldog, and the only thing I gave him in the form of supplements was protein. Even for myself, I bought protein in the form of supplements because he doesn't get it with regular food. There is a lack of inotropes as well. For example, phosphatidylserine is a key element for maintaining cellular functions, especially in the brain. For myself, I have derived the criteria for selecting supplements. Perhaps you would also be interested in learning about them Buy Nootropics | Shop the Best Nootropics Supplements on the Market at Paradigm Peptides. If you are fascinated by this topic, it is worth saying that the variety of supplements is so great that you, too, can delve into this subject and find much use for yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts