German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if everyone here gives their dog supplements and if so what do you give? Also how old is your dog, and is it for a specific health condition or just a general supplement?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I use springtime inc. longevity. It's expensive, but I feel like it has worked well. Pimg is just approaching 5 years old, and I've had her on the supplement since the very first instance I heard her moan about jumping on the bed (1 year ago). Since I've had her on the formula, she has resumed normal jumping activity. And let me tell you- this dog jumps! All day... Chasing squirrels up trees- even imaginary ones. It's a powder that I simply sprinkle over her food. It calls for 1 scoop / 40lbs (scooper included) which means I should be giving Pimg about 2 scoops a day. I actually only give her one scoop a day- and that has been doing well. I bought the buy 2 get 1 free (1.4lb jugs) and that lasted about a year (using 1 scoop/day).

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/longevity/dogs

BTW- I learned about Springtime Inc. by asking the same question as you a while ago. My recollection is that a lot of people use it. And like I said- it seems to be doing a good job for us!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Both my pups get Vit C every day...they are 7 months and 4 years old. I give the 4 year old Nupro with Glucosamine. The 7 month old also gets Fish Oil and Vit E a couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I supplement my boys. They get salmon oil, coconut oil, vitamin E and vitamin C.

I started supplementing with my labs because one of them had atrociously dried skin and ALWAYS had gunky ears - his coat is now smooth and shiny and his ears don't gunk even when swimming day in and out in the summer...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I'm the Springtime rep, er, I mean cheerleader. I've been using their products for 8 years now and all of my dogs have benefitted.

Rafi is 4 or so years old. He has joint and digestive problems (both of which are completely under control right now). He eats Bravo raw + fresh foods.

Supplements:

Springtime Inc Longevity
Springtime Inc Joint Health
Springtime Inc Bug Off Garlic (April through November only)
Springtime Inc. 3-6-9 fish oil caps

vitamin E
2000mg Ester C or buffered absorbic acid

Honest Kitchen Perfect Form

Nupro Silver

He also gets a bit of canned pumpkin as a prebiotic and he gets probiotics when necessary.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've been seeing everyone use Springtime...I'll have to check that out!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I was wondering if everyone here gives their dog supplements and if so what do you give? Also how old is your dog, and is it for a specific health condition or just a general supplement?
If there is a legitimate need I only trust Nupro & Impact, Impact is for heavily worked animals. Nupro is for everyone but I wouldn't spend the money unless you really need it. It is good for skin, coat & digestion.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
21 month old male/intact
Raw fed

1000mg Vit. C once per day

I am also thinking of adding fish oil to his diet.

He has no underlying issues, I give these for maintance mostly.

I also feed raw egg about 3-4 times per week and give pumpkin when needed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
glucosamine. He is almost 7. Been taking it for a few years. He has arthritis and hip dysplasia and it seems to help. If only we could drop some weight that would work better.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Salmon Oil

Vitamin E

Nupro Joint (silver label)

Probiotic

Traumeel

Zeel

The last two per my vet's recommendation after a back injury.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We use Vertex. Not on all dogs and not all the time. We had a dog last year who had a horrible food allergy and lost all his muscle tone and his coat, he looked like some sort of street dog. A friend from a neighboring schutzhund club told us to try Vertex and it was like some sort of miracle LOL. We now keep it on hand for stressed dogs, dogs that are working a lot, and our senior dogs. Really good stuff.
Welcome to K9 Performance Nutrition - Vertex

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bianca is going to be 7 in April, do you think we should start glucosamine? She has good hips (literally-- OFA Good.) I gave it to my last two dogs but they had hip problems.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Glucosamine, VitC, & now canned Tripe. (I consider Tripe a natural, nutritional supplement for digestive juices).

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If Tripe is a suppliment then add that to my list as well. :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Prozyme, but I use way less than recommended.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts