German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the weekend, I took Athena to her favorite place: Burke Lake. My readers know that she likes to trot along the wooded pathways and (covers mouth) wim in ah ake, retrieving her stick. We met a four month old Golden Retriever puppy named Molly, who was typically reserved and dour. Hahahaha! Kidding! Molly was, of COURSE, friendly and adorable and already a pro on her gentle leader.

Towards the back part of the trail, furthest from foot traffic, I typically let Athena off-leash. She stays usually just ahead of me, turning frequently to make sure I'm still there, stopping if she gets too far ahead so she can wait. Most of the time, I simply watch her; it's so gratifying to see her gait fully stretched out, unleashed, an ancient scissoring wolf-y rhythm. I don't know many more beautiful sights than a German shepherd briskly loping the way it was born to do.

My point in writing all this, is that rarely do I endorse any products (except my book), but I wanted to share Athena's GREAT success with a supplement called Nupro silver, a joint and immunity powder. Let me state up front that I am not affiliated in any way with Nupro. I've had Athena on it since August, 2012, and I really notice a difference in Athena's stamina, coat and allergies.

Athena turned ten in January, but at Burke Lake she not only walked the four-plus miles around the lake carrying a large stick the entire way, she swam, stood up in a Schutzhund position barking at this poor guy who tripped over a root and stumbled, lurching, towards us (blush), yet had enough energy by the end of four miles to bark and mimic shaking a pair of yappy Jack Russell Terriers (eye roll).

I was expecting her to be hobbling like a crone the next day, prepared with some doggy aspirin, but to my surprise, she was totally fine. Stinky from the lake, but fine.

I'm telling you--this stuff is a miracle.

Anyone else giving their dogs joint supplements? Do you notice a difference?

Cat

PS: Hamilton still likes Athena's bed stairs and uses them more than she does. Sigh.

PPS: Hamilton also plays FETCH! SQUEEEE! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Wonderful Athena is doing so well and enjoying her golden years. Yes, my Sting is on supplements: Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet soft gels and K-9 Arthroflex which I mix in yogurt.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I do, but not for any existing problem. It's just there to help them grow and mature the best they can.

I use Feed-Sentials with pumpkin, and/or yogurt, carrots... or anything else we have for them.

I also had Storm on Platinum MSM back when she was tiny.

Both work/worked great! I do notice the difference. Their energy is better, their coats are awesome, and they just seem all around just a bit brighter and healthier. I've always believed in vitamins and supplements for myself.... so why not the dogs? Especially if it's not given through their food. I love the results I see from them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do, but not for any existing problem. It's just there to help them grow and mature the best they can.

I use Feed-Sentials with pumpkin, and/or yogurt, carrots... or anything else we have for them.

I also had Storm on Platinum MSM back when she was tiny.

Both work/worked great! I do notice the difference. Their energy is better, their coats are awesome, and they just seem all around just a bit brighter and healthier. I've always believed in vitamins and supplements for myself.... so why not the dogs? Especially if it's not given through their food. I love the results I see from them.
That's awesome! Yes. Exactly. Why not dogs?? Especially for GSDs. Their systems can be so sensitive.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That's awesome! Yes. Exactly. Why not dogs?? Especially for GSDs. Their systems can be so sensitive.
With two dogs with sensitive stomachs (1 with SIBO), that's exactly where that started. It's good for any healthy dog, but for dogs with a not so fabulous digestive tract..... it's a life saver. No medication needed for upkeep.

Everyone is leveled out and doing well now... and the third is very healthy... but we still supplement to support good health and mind. It's a good habit to get into for both the humans and the dogs.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Tricky Shepherd. I do it to maintain good health. Sting is now 7 - he has been on these supplements since he was 2.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I did end up trying it, a month after I posted on this thread. I have been giving it to my Sting who is 7 since April when I had noticed a slight slowing down and I also wanted a supplement for the immune system. I am very pleased with the results -not only in his overall energy level but also in the condition of his coat and skin. I did check it out on other threads and it was suggested to start with the regular dose not double it to avoid any diarrhea, then after the dog is used to that, give the double dose if needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts