German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im looking to transition my 7 year old GSD and starting new pup coming 5/25 on raw. I have been reading TONS. Im mainly worried about the pup and raw as the whole calcium to phosphorus ratio has me VERY worried. Currently i use a quality kibble with my 7y.o. and supplement with Pet Ultimates probiotics , Solid gold sea meal, PRN prozyme, Nupro + glucosimime formula (silver bottle). From reading the various Raw feeding i feel the whole prey makes more sense but since we aren't feeding fresh kills i think supplements are important. I have seen that people still supplement when feeding raw. Are the ones im using good ? Should i explore others? Is there one that could take the place of the all ones im using like an "all in one" ? Im also worried that the Nupro or Sea meal could throw off calcium/phosphorus levels but i haven't researched levels yet . I have seen Sunday Sundae mentioned here, SH-emp oil and Feed-sentials. any experience with them? So whole prey raw feeders what supplements do you use. From my understanding it seems many don't really supplement as the feeling is nutrients should come from the diet. Can i be doing more harm then good with to much of certain vitamins? Specifically, I hope to hear for ones that will be good for my future puppy as i don't want to mess up calcium/phosphorus levels.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
If your feeding a percentage of raw bone in the diet, you would not need to use a bone meal supplement.

I am in the camp of adding supplements to a raw diet b/c they are not getting essential nutrients they need from a fresh kill. The meat we feed has been butchered, blood drained, and frozen and not all of us can afford to feed grass fed or organic. I also feed some pulverized veggies/fruit for roughage and antioxidants.

I have been feeding Feed Sentials for the past few years and LOVE these ALL NATURAL products!
You'll find them here:http://www.carmspack.com/ (click on “Contact” and use the email to order)
or here: https://feedsentials.com/ - click on the email to order

Personally, I would nix the ones you are now feeding and go with Feed Sentials! ;-)

Our new pup, coming in June, will be fed a raw diet plus all of the Feed Sential items.

Moms :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My new pup is coming at the end of May and want to switch him to raw from the breeders kibble but am very worried of messing it up. I will order the supplements you recommend. Will any of those effect the calcium to phosphorus ratios if i do the ratios correctly on my end?

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Thanks. My new pup is coming at the end of May and want to switch him to raw from the breeders kibble but am very worried of messing it up. I will order the supplements you recommend. Will any of those effect the calcium to phosphorus ratios if i do the ratios correctly on my end?
No. Everything should be balanced as long as you include a ratio of raw bones in the diet.

I've talked with carmspack extensively on using Feed Sentials supplementation for my new pup. Ask questions when you order. She raises her own and her pups on these supplements too.

Make sure you keep your pup on the food that the breeder is feeding for a couple of weeks until he/she is settled into your home. Then begin the transition. If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Feed small amounts of chicken skin at first until the pups gut gets use to it, then increase as you see pup is handling it ok.

YEAH for new puppies!!!:doggieplayball:

Moms :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts