German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.5 year old German is super submissive she will let dogs attack her and just take it. She will not defend her self and this is the second time in a week a dog has tried to attack her. Any reasoning for this? Both dogs have been half her size so they did not do any damage but I had to kick one off of her this afternoon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Are you the first master of your dog? Or did you get her from someone else?

Some dogs,no matter the breed are weak nerved through poor breeding. For some it is a learned behavior either from litter mates, the dam, or the first owner (if you are not the first).

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm not sure what the reason is(I'm sure others will know better why this happens), but the fact that you know it has happened and it might happen again it is up to you to keep her out of those situations. You have to protect her, don't let those dogs close enough to get her. My GSD has been barked at and lunged at by small dogs, she doesn't do anything but look at them like they are crazy. Now when she was younger and the Leonberger went for her, my dog was gone...I think it was a smart move and from that moment on I watched all dogs with her and as soon as I felt that the facial expression changed I would get my dog out of there. It just happened with a chocolate lab this weekend. He was really checking her out, they met and I seen his expression change, I pulled my dog out of his way just in time.

·
Banned
377 Posts
My female is similar. She is totally non-aggressive. She will stand up for herself to some degree, but only a little bit. Some call it weak nerves. Maybe so but maybe she just loves peace, not war.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't put her in a position where she's attacked. are these
dogs running up to her and attacking immediately or is she
off leash and you're standing there waiting to see what's going
to happen?

·
Registered
482 Posts
don't put her in a position where she's attacked. are these
dogs running up to her and attacking immediately or is she
off leash and you're standing there waiting to see what's going
to happen?
I agree with DoggieDad, we'd need more information about the incidents to help advise you.

Lf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I recently adopted her from an older lady who wanted to euthanize her for chewing on a rug. So this could be from her past, I do know she was an outside dog kept on cement most of the time. One of the situations occurred when I had her on leash walking by a neighbors house, I do not know if the dog that attacked her felt territorial with it being outside its house off leash....the other incident was at a local dog park.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts