German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,im feeding my 5 Months old Swiss Shepherd with a Premium Kibble...I Was looking foward to buy the Hills Super Premium today but its 3 times the price.
Does it really worth it ? do the fur get better or it`s just marketing BS ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey guys,im feeding my 5 Months old Swiss Shepherd with a Premium Kibble...I Was looking foward to buy the Hills Super Premium today but its 3 times the price.
Does it really worth it ? do the fur get better or it`s just marketing BS ?
If a budget is your concern, a four star kibble like Diamond Naturals will be good to feed your dog. Its $35 for a 40 lb bag which breaks down to $7 a week per month - perhaps less if you feed your White German Shepherd Dog 2 cups a day. Don't go strictly by the price but stay away from dog kibble that has corn, wheat or soy in the ingredient list. Look for dry dog food that lists meat meal as the #1 ingredient and you should be fine!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
If a budget is your concern, a four star kibble like Diamond Naturals will be good to feed your dog. Its $35 for a 40 lb bag which breaks down to $7 a week per month - perhaps less if you feed your White German Shepherd Dog 2 cups a day. Don't go strictly by the price but stay away from dog kibble that has corn, wheat or soy in the ingredient list. Look for dry dog food that lists meat meal as the #1 ingredient and you should be fine!
Be aware, not all "meat meal" is the same. Here is another link covering it.
The Surprising Secret About Dog Food

·
Registered
624 Posts
Be aware, not all "meat meal" is the same. Here is another link covering it.
The Surprising Secret About Dog Food
High quality meat meals are even better the meat protein because much more of the nutrients are conserved after cooking. On the other hand, low quality dog foods will have by-products and starchy fillers that don't have much nutrient value. When people compare the ingredient list, they can see the difference right away and appreciate why premium dog kibble is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I buy the Kirkland brand at Costco. Even with the $55 a year charge its cheaper and is rated as good kibble. I think 4 stars out of 5. Costco also sells Natures domain (its a grain free dog food) which is made by the same company as Taste of the Wild brand dog food. My dogs coats are always shiny. I also buy the canned Kirkland chick and rice to mix the dry dog food with. its rated 3 1/2 stars out of 5. (24 cans for $18). I like kirkland chicken and rice as Its all life stages and has meat as the first ingredient.

The only problem I have had is my pup likes the natures domain Salmon and potatoe, but it gives him diarrhea (he doesnt do well with fish) and he leaves his chicken and rice kibble to eat the salmon that my older dogs eat. So I have to feed him separately which hes not so enthusiastic about.

The good thing is costco has a good refund policy so if you dog doest like it you can always return it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If you are willing to pay for it, IMHO prepackaged raw is much better... But, our last dog we fed Taste of the Wild and she seemed to like it ok!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts