German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice please!

My 6 month old puppy has not been wanting to eat his kibble for 4 days now. He will eat one bite and then go back to whatever he was doing. I was desperate today so I gave him some wet canned food and he gobbled it up. He loves to play and drink water. His energy levels have not changed and I know he's not sick, he's just an extremely picky puppy. What do I do? I don't want to continue giving him canned food, but I get so worried when he doesn't eat. He also has refused his kibble many times before but it was only for 2-3 days. I don't get how he does not get hungry after playing outside for hours. All he wants to do is play outside and drink water. Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Need some advice please!

My 6 month old puppy has not been wanting to eat his kibble for 4 days now. He will eat one bite and then go back to whatever he was doing. I was desperate today so I gave him some wet canned food and he gobbled it up. He loves to play and drink water. His energy levels have not changed and I know he's not sick, he's just an extremely picky puppy. What do I do? I don't want to continue giving him canned food, but I get so worried when he doesn't eat. He also has refused his kibble many times before but it was only for 2-3 days. I don't get how he does not get hungry after playing outside for hours. All he wants to do is play outside and drink water. Thank you for reading!
I mix Kias's kibble with canned food/and or chicken hearts. He wouldn't eat as much if I didn't. It just adds interest and a new taste so it isn't the same old food. We got him one kind that he just wouldn't eat, so sometimes that happens. But usually adding something helps.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Purchase smaller bags of kibble and rotate the flavors within the brand you are feeding.

Also consider getting goats milk or goats yogurt and mixing it into his kibble with some warm water. These have probiotic's in them which are great for his gut (over 75% of the immune system lies in the gut!).
Begin with small amounts and work up to 1/3 c goats milk or 1 Tablespoon of goats yogurt.

NOTE....if food is not eaten this must be refrigerated until next feeding. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I’ve not known a healthy animal to starve itself.
That said, I don’t want my dog to have to be hungry in order to eat it’s food...i’d like them also to enjoy it.
There are many many (too many) different foods available should you decide to switch, however, I would not have introduced any food or additive that I don’t plan to continue feeding (ahem, canned food).
I’d personally wait him out again... and in the meantime see if you can pick up some food samples. When he isn’t hungry... see if there is any particular food that he seems to light up about, and try that (perhaps mixing it with his old food to utilize the food and also help with the digestive transition).
Or... sometimes even simply adding warm water will help. Or just offering a quarter meal to sort of “trick” him into thinking he’s completing his meals then gradually increasing the ration.

Disclaimer - I’ve never actually dealt with a personal dog being a picky eater.

Out of curiosity... what are you feeding and what (if anything) are you using for training?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve not known a healthy animal to starve itself.
That said, I don’t want my dog to have to be hungry in order to eat it’s food...i’d like them also to enjoy it.
There are many many (too many) different foods available should you decide to switch, however, I would not have introduced any food or additive that I don’t plan to continue feeding (ahem, canned food).
I’d personally wait him out again... and in the meantime see if you can pick up some food samples. When he isn’t hungry... see if there is any particular food that he seems to light up about, and try that (perhaps mixing it with his old food to utilize the food and also help with the digestive transition).
Or... sometimes even simply adding warm water will help. Or just offering a quarter meal to sort of “trick” him into thinking he’s completing his meals then gradually increasing the ration.

Disclaimer - I’ve never actually dealt with a personal dog being a picky eater.

Out of curiosity... what are you feeding and what (if anything) are you using for training?
Hi Fodder,

Thank you for your advice! My boy is on the Nutrisource large breed adult chicken & rice. For training treats, we use Fromm Crunchy O's (different flavors) and sometimes his kibble.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Then I started mixing up his kibbles with full fat yoghurt, sometimes canned food also and voila he eats like a horse. Find something your dog REALLY likes, like peanut butter or yoghurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts