German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea where to post this but I am super confused about my GS. I am no pro at owning a GS but I do my best to take care of her and right now I have no idea where to turn. Story line... the vet was so busy rushy I barely understood anything.. January she ate Diamond, and February she got put on Nutro Natural Choice. Well she's had diarrhea since then. The vet said wait this and this time frame to see if it was the change. Well nothing improved and she was recently seen. Her parasite tests and all that came negative. They wanted to do like over $400 in other tests, possibly a $200 allergy test, and a pancreo test. But their DNA thing and other stuff was broken. So I only walked out with medicine to help her diarrhea and some other things.
Her symptoms:yellow loose horrible smelling stool and diarrhea, very mellow, can't work out as long, completely refuses her food but scarfs down my neighbors food, she sometimes does these puking coughing sounds but she isn't puking anything to the floor, her coat is different and she's always scratching.
I am going to try a new brand and portion it out with the other so it's not too rough on her stomach. A big reason why I am confused is that they listed a ton of things it can be. "It can be this or this so she would need this that or these done, or it can be this which would need so and so, or she has a small but still possible chance of this so you would need to get this or that done" Oh..my gosh...golly I know they want my money and everything but jeez don't over whelm a dog owner like scaring them..I'm not a vet so idk what's right and what's wrong :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe it is just her food? Was she doing fine when she was on diamond at first? Try weening her over to a different brand of food like maybe blue buffalo, or royal chain, or even authority grain free. Should slowly get her eatting it all. Sometimes just the food can be the cause of the loose smelly stools, and bad coat. I know my puppy when she was on her first brand of food for the first month she had just loose stools, and a terribly dry coat. Switched her over to authority now she has hard stools, and a nice soft shiny coat. So maybe try a new food for her. You also may of put her over to nutro way to fast. Usually people slowy change food over a week period by adding more and more of the new brand in with there old food so it wont cause them to have loose stools.

But I would still suggest having the test, or better yet take her to a different vet and have a 2nd opinion from another vet.

But could just be the food. But as long as she is eatting, and still acting normal, I would try a different food.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
try adding some pure pumpkin in her food as well as boiled rice, and boiled chicken, that should help

·
Registered
115 Posts
1,355 Complaints and Reviews about Nutro Pet Foods Seems like typical problems from Nutro. I'd get a new vet who's not so dang money hungry and find a new food NOW. Don't even bother doing a transition, just go buy something new and toss out any Nutro you have. If there were no problems on the Diamond then I'd switch back to that, otherwise what stores do you have nearby and what is your budget? I see you're from Texas, which happens to be where Victor is made. It'd be a good food to try that won't break the bank! Victor Super Premium Dog Food

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would really look into EPI / SIBO and consider getting her tested for it. The yellow smelly stools, upset tummy sounds and poor coat are symptoms. Hoping that isn't the case but I would be very suspicious and it is almost an exclusive GSD condition.

EPI in Dogs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of blue buffalo but it was listed with a ton of complaints too. She was fine when she was on Diamond but Diamond wasn't sold on base so I grabbed Natural Choice. It wasn't a full cold turkey switch but I did make a complaint on the website the other day. I remember her loving Purina Pro months ago so I got that and I was told to mix it with the Natural Choice and slowly add more Pro Plan because her stomach is already upset. I have heard about the pumpkin and rice helping but the vet blew up on me saying that I should never give her people food or a raw diet. I was desperate for her to eat something one week and made her a raw diet and it only lasted for about 4 days and it helped a lot and even made harder brown stools. I put her back on NC and the yellow diarrhea came back. I called to make an app with the vet on base and they were booked for over a month. I went to a pet hospital because they're open later. They couldn't even take blood from her back leg because only one doctor knew how. I asked if they all have a college edu because you do labs and practices in school..."Nope not everyone". She also accused my dog of trying to bite her. I was thinking of a pancreo test but all their junk was broken so I walked out with sprinkle medicines to put good bacteria in her and 2 sets of pills for the diarrhea.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
did they run a coccidia fecal? IF not I would do that AND a giardia test.

I would not feed Nutro, mine had some issues with it years ago..I believe it's on a "recall" list right now.

Did she like the diamond? If so, go back to it..

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
. I have heard about the pumpkin and rice helping but the vet blew up on me saying that I should never give her people food or a raw diet. I was desperate for her to eat something one week and made her a raw diet and it only lasted for about 4 days and it helped a lot and even made harder brown stools. I put her back on NC and the yellow diarrhea came back. .

I think you have your answer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts