German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took him to the vet on thursday and she gave him a clean bill of health! And as I suspected, my vet said that he will be in the 120# range... I don't mind as long as he is healthy. At 3 months (13 weeks) he weighed 40# even. Here are some photos I took of him running in the yard :).

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
He's a cutie!

But what makes the vet thinks he'll weigh 120 lbs? How big were his parents, do you know? If you saw how big they were, he'll probably get about that size....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a cutie!

But what makes the vet thinks he'll weigh 120 lbs? How big were his parents, do you know? If you saw how big they were, he'll probably get about that size....
Thanks :). His dad was 100 even and mom 90. I'd be happy if he stays in the 90s... But looking at the way he is growing, the vet said he will get bigger. Lets see :).

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I agree pup looks a little plump. Could probably lose 5 lbs or more and be great. Maybe cut back on how much you're feeding.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys :). I see why you guys think he is a little well padded. I've attached a few more pictures of him I took today morning while he was eating.

Regarding his diet, I switched to Blue LBP 10 days ago:
Morning: 2 cups
Noon: 1 1/2 cups
Night: 1/2 - 1 cup with 1 serving of activia light yogurt.
His total exercise / day is about 2 miles. 1 mile around the block walking and the rest is a guestimate (playing fetch, running around in the house etc... ) twice a week, when he plays with my neighbor's dogs, he gets more exercise I'm sure because they are constantly running.
Pics:
Eating:

Trying to 'attack' a fly (LOL):

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That's a lot of food for a pup. Some people feed adults less than that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a lot of food for a pup. Some people feed adults less than that.
Thanks :). Maybe I need to switch his vet..:confused: Because he told me to feed sunny that amount... :( Ill lower his food and see how active / inactive he is and feed accordingly :).

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
He may be used to recommending that amount if he's pushing Science diet or other lesser quality foods on people but with higher quality foods you do not need to feed as much. My pup ate 3 cups a day growing up and now that he's 11 months he only gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and raw for dinner but if I was feeding him entirely kibble he'd only be getting 2 cups a day now, granted he's on Orijen which is pretty rich stuff.

He's pretty stinkin' adorable though! :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
How do you guys figure to Fred so low? The actual bag of food recommends what her vet said also (merricks). I'm confused. Cute pup though! I thought sabo was big! At 16wks he's 42lbs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The bag usually recommends more then they need... For puppies especially remember you want them growly slowly and having them on the leaner side is better for their joints while they're growing. Vets are also usually not very versed in nutrition... I just experiment and find the amount that works for my dog.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Very handsome pup!!! I just want to give him a kiss on the muzzle:)

The feeding charts are just guides. Not a one size fits all. IMO, too much is being fed to this guy. All are different. When my boy was on kibble he got one cup 3 x's per day. Just because he could eat more and be a bottomless pit didn't mean I was going to oblige! lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! :) I have been feeding Sunny 3 cups for two days now and I can see (more) ribs already! I swear he gains and sheds weight in the blink of an eye! :). Also another thing I have noticed is that he is more attentive while training (not that he wasn't before). So, in conclusion I'd say that a hungry puppy is easier to train :).

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks guys! :) I have been feeding Sunny 3 cups for two days now and I can see (more) ribs already! I swear he gains and sheds weight in the blink of an eye! :). Also another thing I have noticed is that he is more attentive while training (not that he wasn't before). So, in conclusion I'd say that a hungry puppy is easier to train :).

oh yeah, a hungry puppy is ALWAYS more interested in training. My guy doesn't get breakfast on the days we go to class. And when we're working on skills at home, he gets a portion of his meals. He gets 1 cup in the AM and 2 cups in the PM and he's still nice and lean.... unless he attacks the water and then he's a round little piggy.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think Vet's and food companies recommend feeding more so they
can sell more.

>>>>>> He may be used to recommending that amount if he's pushing Science diet or other lesser quality foods on people but with higher quality foods you do not need to feed as much. <<<<<<

My pup ate 3 cups a day growing up and now that he's 11 months he only gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and raw for dinner but if I was feeding him entirely kibble he'd only be getting 2 cups a day now, granted he's on Orijen which is pretty rich stuff.

He's pretty stinkin' adorable though! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
He is beautiful! Nice bones on him :)

How are his stools? Frequent and soft ?

It does seem like a lot of BB LBP for his age.Alvin was a bit overgrown when I got him ( they were feeding him pedigree puppy in the shelter , and lots of it) . He had a bought of panos as a result.

Now at just about 20 weeks or so he is 48 pounds and nice and lean/healthy. He seems to be in a height gaining spurt. Anyway , I *just* bumped him up to almost 4 cups per day of TOTW ( all stages) .

We plan to go raw next week.

Anyway , the truth is usually in the poop :)

Good luck with him , he is stunning!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts