German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Seattle we are beginning a heat wave. Temperatures are expected to be in the 90s for the next week--go ahead and laugh but that is really hot for here. Also most homes don't have AC so it's pretty miserable.

We do have a small window unit in our bedroom, We used to just run it at night but someone is insisting that it be run during his afternoon nap and his sister is in agreement. Havoc has never been in this kind of heat and he has adapted very well. He insists on his pool being filled. He must be hosed off a couple of times a day and then he takes his damp self up to my bedroom where he stares at the AC unit until I turn it on.

So here I am, sitting with a fan downstairs while two damp dogs nap in luxurious splendor on my nice cool bed. I fear my utility bills this month. I've discovered yet another hidden expense of dog ownership. Probably will need a new comforter as well as this one is developing a permanent dog shaped smudge. They do look happy and very content and I have some time to kvetch on the internet while they nap...so it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our utilities--water, sewer, garbage run between $150.00 and $200.00 a month. This July with the extra fans and water will most likely be almost $300.00.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Yes. It is a challenge in Seattle right now. I have no air conditioning and by 8:00 at night, my house is the same temperature as the highest temp outside that day. It will only cool off 4 or 5 degrees in the house by morning. I end up taking dogs outside every couple hours throughout the night to cool off outside (me included) and to get a drink of water. (I love my GSD pup, if there is water in the house, he drinks--then he picks up the container to "carry" around the house--spilling water everywhere.) I live in the downtown of a city just south of Seattle. For security purposes, I don't want to sleep outside.

My GSD puppy is from the state of Washington--Long Beach. Right at 9 weeks it was apparent he didn't like "hot." Always seeks the shade in the yard on warm days. He is a true Western Washington boy.

One thing Seattlites love to do is complain about the weather. Too cold, too icy, too many weeks overcast, too many rainy days, too hot. We love our coffee. We have a love/hate relationship with the weather:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
With two boys home all day, the food bill quickly becomes ridiculous in addition to the electric bill. But after having no AC for a week (died after 15 years) in the heat of the summer, I guess I don't mind as much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually love the typical Seattle weather! I love rain, and gloom. This heat wave is awful for me--so cheerful.
Havs is really unhappy--he had some diarrhea earlier--very unusual for him. I assume it's heat related. Now he's on the couch with a wet bandanna on his neck and has to have rice and chicken broth for his dinner.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Electric bill will be about $300 per month in the summer months. I have no water bill. At least the gas bill will be small. I hate the heat, so my dogs are lucky, because it's on most of the time. If it's off and they are panting I put it on. I don't like them coming in if they are wet. While I'm at work I shut all the blinds and set the air at 72 and it holds pretty good.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
We have AC, but it doesn't work well so we rarely run it. Our house is almost 80 years old and the AC can't keep up when it's humid. It's not so much the temp that's the problem but the humidity. We've had a cooler summer so far (after the "polar vortex" winter), but normally it's about 85-93 degrees INside my house on the main level during the summer, so it's hotter upstairs but cooler down. I let the dogs sleep where they like. Coke usually stays in the basement and Nikon will sleep in the bathroom on the tile (we only have one tiny bathroom but it is tiled). In an attempt to stay comfortable at night, I use a double window fan that sucks in from dusk until morning and then blows out during the day. We also point fans directly on us at night and I have a few on the floor in various rooms for the dogs.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My dogs have their own air conditioner. I have to kennel them while I'm gone and the porch where they are at was so hot, I bought them their own air conditioner. People think I'm nuts but I could care less as long as my babies are comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
My electric runs about $300 in the summer. Water is up there too. Gas, not so much but still is hot water and cooking. Our average July and August high is around 90 during the day. Of course we have a live in caregiver for my mother who is pre-menopausal and runs hot and ..... well just part of the cost of having her......also about 3000 SF. Hope to cut is significantly when my mother passes away. Set upstairs for dual zone and I can cool one side of house day / one side at night and just keep the downstairs tolerable and dry

·
Registered
405 Posts
We just got a cool front down here in Texas. It's only 92 today. Suppose to only be in the upper 80's tomorrow. People are pulling out their winter clothes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Here in Seattle we are beginning a heat wave. Temperatures are expected to be in the 90s for the next week--go ahead and laugh but that is really hot for here. Also most homes don't have AC so it's pretty miserable.

We do have a small window unit in our bedroom, We used to just run it at night but someone is insisting that it be run during his afternoon nap and his sister is in agreement. Havoc has never been in this kind of heat and he has adapted very well. He insists on his pool being filled. He must be hosed off a couple of times a day and then he takes his damp self up to my bedroom where he stares at the AC unit until I turn it on.

So here I am, sitting with a fan downstairs while two damp dogs nap in luxurious splendor on my nice cool bed. I fear my utility bills this month. I've discovered yet another hidden expense of dog ownership. Probably will need a new comforter as well as this one is developing a permanent dog shaped smudge. They do look happy and very content and I have some time to kvetch on the internet while they nap...so it is worth it.
I laughed my butt off at this. I'm in the same boat, only I have to leave the ac on while I'm out of the house so the beasties are comfortable. :wub:

And here I thought I was so smart not having children.

Jelpy

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I feel your pain, I live on the coast in Southern California where it usually ranges in the 60-70's with no humidity all year long. We don't have A/C but it's usually no big deal.

BUT before this summer even got started we had a bad Santa Ana and heat wave in the 90's-100's(inland) causing bad wildfires(the Carlsbad poinsettia fire was 15 mins from my house!) and these past few weeks we've had unusually high humidity, I'm so not used to it and have been dying(I know first world problems) but our windows are older and are such that we can't put in window A/C units in. My husband says he's glad we don't have A/C because he knows the bill would be crazy high from me keeping it 60 degrees in the house. :D

I know all my Midwest/east coast friends hate when I say it but I'm very ready for summer to be over... "Winter" is so nice here!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts