German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shepards Penned 24/7
Appreciate all of your responses, am trying to find a way to help two pure-bred German shepards who live behind me. We are in a semi-rural area. The home lots are an acre and 1/4 in our neighborhood. We have a vacant home behind us, at least 3,000 sq ft. On the property is a very large pen, fenced 8 ft high with an adjoining shed that has a dog door for access to shelter. The two dogs are confined to this area 24/7 with no exercise or socialization. Food and water is given every two days. During the night, the eldest Shepard barks rapidly, while I do not hear the younger one. We have had nimal control out and Shepard advocates, and at this point I have found nothing I can do for these poor dogs. No one lives in the house. I have spoken with the owner, he says he has them to guard. They are penned and can not get out. They are adjacent to the house. I need to help these dogs, but absolutely do not know how. The owner is not from this country and am not sure he understands how to properly care for these dogs. He had them shipped from Germany, but he has no relationship with them at all.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
If they seem ill, or injured, or seriously underweight then call animal control. Generally if the dogs have water and shelter and are healthy, there is nothing to do. These are guard dogs. That is their job. They will be fine. Since they are a pair, they will not be terribly lonely. So long as the owner is providing for their basic needs, that is perfectly ok.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
These are guard dogs. That is their job. They will be fine. Since they are a pair, they will not be terribly lonely. So long as the owner is providing for their basic needs, that is perfectly ok.
Guard Dogs? It is a empty house, they are contained, what are they guarding? While they are locked up in their pen, anyone could be in the house and they couldn't get out to guard anything. These aren't guard dogs, I'm not sure what their purpose is...I wouldn't even say a deterrent, because they are locked up:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
OP, please don't start the same thread in multiple forums - best to keep all the answers in one place. I deleted the other identical threads you have started.

Thank you,

ADMIN

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's really sad. But unfortunately nothing you can *legally* do as long as the owner is meeting their basic needs. And even if someone did come and break them out or something, he'll just get more. So sad for the dogs to live like that :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
990 Posts
The only thing you could do is once the weather heats up check that they have enough water - but if they are really guard dogs they probably won't let you anywhere near the fence etc.

They will be ok, it's not a nice life for a dog but it could also be a **** of a lot worse!

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Guard Dogs? It is a empty house, they are contained, what are they guarding? While they are locked up in their pen, anyone could be in the house and they couldn't get out to guard anything. These aren't guard dogs, I'm not sure what their purpose is...I wouldn't even say a deterrent, because they are locked up:confused:
Their owner says they are guard dogs. That is what he has them for. That is perfectly legal. The dogs together will be fine. The guy should be there every day though.

If someone wants to steal the copper pipe out of the house, and the dogs do not deter them, then, oh well, he might consider an alarm system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts