German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago when I got out of bed - I fell out of bed... my back had gone out. I was "wedged" between the bed and nightstand and couldn't straighten my back to get out of there. I tried and tried and couldn't get enough force on my one wrist to push me up.

Summer was right there. I pulled the sleeve on my free arm so it was well past my hand and told her to pull. Well, of course this is something she had never been trained and biting on my clothes was a crazy concept to her. She nosed my sleeve several times but would not bite and pull.

So I thought, how can I make her understand and thought about LE dog training - ultimately it's like a big game. When I'm out of dog bones and she needs something to chew - I'll give her an old orphan sock knotted in the middle. So... I pulled my arm out more from the sleeve and got it down to where I could knot it at the end with my pinned hand and free hand.

She latched on to that knot and pulled like crazy digging in and backing up and wala! I was upright!!! Good Puppy Summer!.:D:D

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moriah! - yes my back is fine. It goes out about 3 times per year and two days of mostly lying flat sets things right again.

I was hesitant to post this because it's a little embarrassing but - I think anyone's dog will help them this way if they are familiar with the tug game and have been allowed to play with a knotted sock. An instance where a couple of games can end up really helping your dog assist you in an emergency.:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow, what a good doggy! You must be so happy to have her there to help you =)

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Good thinking Stone!And awesome girl Summer!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol. Thanks! I sat there for a while laughing and crying at the same time telling her good dog over and over. She was very relieved and happy too - she's not the face kiss type but she covered me with kisses. She knew knew she did good and helped - her tail was wagging and she was "talking" to me (probably saying Whattheheymom don't do that again!) Big 'ol knuckle bone for her when I was able to get to the store.:)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Training starts tomorrow on "bring me the phone" I have a couple of old ones to train with , but she's not mouthy (when she's not in prey drive). I'll post start and finish pics if it works:)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Just reading that gives me the willies. I've got a fear of being pinned in and not able to move. Sounds like you've got the right dog to save you.
Who needs life alert when you've got your dog?!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad she was there and able to help you, and I hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Training starts tomorrow on "bring me the phone" I have a couple of old ones to train with , but she's not mouthy (when she's not in prey drive). I'll post start and finish pics if it works:)
That is something I need to teach Shadow. Except she's a chewer.:eek:
I randomly fall down and have fallen down the stairs a few times. A dog that would bring me a phone would be a huge safety net should I ever hurt myself.
Keep me posted on how training goes if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea, particularly for everyone that lives alone. it's scary to think about but nobody wants to be in a position where they are hurt or sick and no one realizes there is even a problem for several days.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Mover over Lassie and Rin Tin Tin -Summer is on the rise! Job well done!!!! They are so smart it is well worth the time to train them to help you -i like the idea of go get the phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts