German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old Poodle/Lhasa Mix. She gets out every chance she gets! How can I stop this behavior? Yesterday she pawed the door (wasn't latched just pulled closed) open and took off. She digs holes under the fence (even if it's to the neighbors yard) to get out. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I am hoping that you guys may have some suggestions that I can use.
There is NO catching her. She stays out for about 2 or 3 days and then will come in willingly. She barks at everything (I'm sure the neighbors love me) and gets into everyone garbage!

Help!!!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You have a bored dog. When was the last time you took this dog to an obedience class and how much exercise are you giving her?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Make sure the doors are closed and latched. Put an e-fence around the inside of your solid fence. Training and attention.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is only like 15 lbs! I assumed she didn't more exercise then running around with the kiddo in the back yard!!
Will absolutely up the obedience!! Maybe that will help!!
Thanks for your suggestions!!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It doesn't matter the size; if you don't spend time with them and exercise them, they get bored.

You have to keep this dog contained or you need to rehome her. Letting her run around the neighbor is dangerous for her and everyone else. The first time she got out would have been a surprise. Anything after that is your fault.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We spend TONS of time with her! Loving her up! Treating her! I think I am just going to have to amp up training? She is a GREAT dog besides this ONE thing! Most of the time she is out she is laying on our porch or in the yard. And like I said, there is NO getting her in until she is ready!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I've found smaller dogs to be MORE energetic than smaller ones. You need to increase her physical activity, not necessarily the time, but the intensity. And also, do training exercises with her that will tire out her mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts