German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very hard to stop her from doing this and she will really pull on the lead. Sometimes I use a squakey toy and that works but it's kind of embarassing trying to control her this way.

She has been well socialized, hence the problem.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I found that turning fast - changing directions works to keep my Sting's attention. I also don't allow him to run up to others - he has to sit/stay - even if I have to stand in front of him (I use treats to reward). If someone wants to pet him. I ask the person to wait. I first have Sting sit/stay - then I say "okay you can meet him" - then Sting goes up the person. If I don't think the person is someone Sting likes, I just say - "sorry, he isn't friendly " and keep going.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It's very hard to stop her from doing this and she will really pull on the lead. Sometimes I use a squakey toy and that works but it's kind of embarassing trying to control her this way.

She has been well socialized, hence the problem.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.
Don't ever be embarassed about training your dog. You find what works for your dog to change her focus from the trigger (person/dog/both) back to you. You practice, practice, practice. You make it fun. You keep your girl engaged in what you want her to do.

If it's a squeaky toy, or a treat, or you doing the Macarena in the middle of the street - it's what works for you and your dog.

There will be a time when you walk by and your girl doesn't even acknowlege other folks. But ONLY if you keep working on it now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tips

I don't have trouble with the dog running up on people when I don't want, but rather, I have the problem that people approach the dog when I don't want them to. My Zeus is easy to control until that happens.

When it does happen I tell them the dog's in bite training and that it's dangerous to approach. That cures most of them but for the kids.

I tell them that the dog's just too big at 6 mos. now and that he doesn't know his own strength even though he's friendly. That stops most of them.

But once in a while I'm going to be chatting with someone I meet while walking the dog. In that case, not only do I not want the dog to jump up on someone, but also, I want to have some peace so I can chat. In those cases, I make the dog sit, lay down and step on the leash about 2 ft from the collar.

Works every time, but for a bit of whining if the conversation goes longer than just a couple of minutes.

Step on the leash a short distance from the collar. No jumping possible then.

LF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts