German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions on bones that last? my 6 month old shepherd LOVES to chew and she is goin through bones like crazy...we found the only bones she will eat are dingo, but that is getting to be quite expensive. thanks!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
what kind of bones are you talking about? Dingo is a brand of treats I believe?

If you feed raw marrow bones, thats not something the dog can "go through" as its not being consumed. However some dogs lose interest once the marrow is gone, and some dogs can break teeth on them (but thats more likely with cooked recreational bones.)

The "indestructible" nylabones last a really long time. I've had them last for years, my girl Emma now is a power chewer but I still have ones that lasted about a year.

Antlers are really good recreational chews.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Fresh/frozen knuckle bones or beef soup bones are best

fresh/frozen marrow bones are good but those bones can break teeth and the marrow is rich, can cause runny poop.

Bully sticks are also good safe things to chew on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes dingo is the brand they are flavored, she wasnt going for regular no flavored bones..thanks for the suggestion def will look into those..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the whole bone is a femur bone. the knuckle is on both ends of the bone.
the marrow runs throughout.

Fresh/frozen knuckle bones or beef soup bones are best

fresh/frozen marrow bones are good but those bones can break teeth and the marrow is rich, can cause runny poop.

Bully sticks are also good safe things to chew on.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i give my dog femur bones. i have the knuckles cut off.
i give my dog the center cuts. my dog had them starting
at 9 weeks old. i give them to my dog boiled, baked and raw.
none of my dogs had problems with a femur bone. lots of people say
they're to hard and they're bad for the teeth. the best advice i heard was
if you have an aggressive chewer don't use them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I give femur bones, knuckle bones, nylabones, bully sticks and trying out himalayan dog chews soon :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I've been wanting to try the himalayan chews, let us know how it goes!

Tessa broke her top right canine on a cooked recreational bone. I don't feed them but I spent the night at a friends place and it happened. Figures, doesn't it? Go to precautions at home and then one night elsewhere and she breaks a tooth!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh loves the Himalayan chews. They last a really long time, in fact there's one laying around here somewhere that I bought a month ago. They're really hard and can break if you drop it but once it gets wet it softens up a bit and they can scrape off bits of it. Expensive, but worth the money. It provides a lot of chewing time without consuming a lot of material like bully sticks or pig ears

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Natural Bones: ask your super market butcher to cut you some marrow bones if you don't see them in the meat case. DO NOT cook them (cooked bones tend to splinter) - when the marrow is finally gone throw them away.
Manufactured Bones: the only bones that I really like are the Nylabones - I believe they are the safest of the non-natural bones.
I don't like rawhide, ears, hooves etc, they can be a choking hazard.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
agree with that - don't cook, bake, roast or boil the bones , renders it into "stone" , or may as well . This wears down dentine, chips teeth. If you want to give a good chew go to the butcher and get some pork necks . Don't have them cut into smaller bits which have sharp needle angles. Go to the butcher and order up some sheep heads, goat heads, have them cut through the middle if you prefer . Give the dog turkey necks .
I don't give my dogs recreational chew things -- nice way to create obsessive behaviour . Chewing is like smoking .
Have seen some fatalities in vet clinic from pigs ears , and raw hide which was just one mass of putrid slime . Caused so much damage and necrotic dissue that the dog was allowed to pass on the operating table --
Dog does not need anything smoked -- dyed , "flavoured".

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
510 Posts
I get Dexter huge knuckle bones with a lot of gristle and meat on them from a local farmers market. Seriously, they're the size of a rump roast. I freeze them and he has to eat it on a towel. He'll work for hours, then I rinse it off, freeze it again and it can last for a week because I don't give it to him daily. My white shepherd, Luke, isn't all that fond of bones. Dexter gets his. Anyway, these raw bones are a great value. Nowadays, the bully sticks seem to go too quickly. Neither dog cares for the antlers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We use marrow bones here too, as well as nylabones. Nylabone now has flavored ones out so the dogs like those a lot more than the original non flavored ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts