German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting an 8 week old German Shepherd puppy in a couple of months and have been reading up on how to prepare.
Lots of people recommend setting up a playpen area to keep the puppy safe. This is just for short periods of time during the day, in addition to his sleeping crate.

What is the best height for a playpen, given that the puppy will grow pretty fast? Many on the market are 24 inches high, but that seems way too low.

Also, what material would be best, plastic or wire? Seems like puppies would chew through the plastic, but am not sure.

If anyone can recommend a specific type or brand, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Annie

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
36" minimum. I never use a playpen for a pup that isn't housebroken, just his crate. In a play pen he can afford to pee and poop away from his comfy spot. But I do use it to train him in it for a few minutes, but never to leave him alone in it for longer times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
36" minimum. I never use a playpen for a pup that isn't housebroken, just his crate. In a play pen he can afford to pee and poop away from his comfy spot. But I do use it to train him in it for a few minutes, but never to leave him alone in it for longer times.
Ok, thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts