German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suggestions do you have for bringing a baby home from the hospital where a GSD lives? I am new at this and am looking for ideas so I can figure out what might work best for Panzer

He will be 4 years old when baby comes home!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I am she that Panzer already can sense that something is going on. When I had my son last year, it was a simple, for me. I held the baby and let my gsd sniff and be a little nosy. And he was fine with it. I was careful where I put the baby and when I went to do anything at all,from making a bottle to changing its diaper, my gsd was right next to me. PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Re: Suggestions for bringing baby home from hospit

We didn't do the doll thing or the poopy diaper routine.

The baby's room was setup in advance, they were able to go in and explore all the new things.

We also setup the stroller and infant carrier in the house about a month before my oldest son came home. I'd walk the dogs around in the house a bit with it so they learned how. When the baby came home, I used to stroll him to dinner in it. It worked out nice to have the baby safe and secure in his carrier while I worked with the dogs on how to behave. Having 2 at the time, I needed a hand for each one, lol.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

I did have my husband bring home a blanket that the baby had used the first night....so that the scent was a bit familiar before I introduced the baby at the house...worked great.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I remember many years ago when I had my first son I had a doberman. LIke someone mentioned the baby's room was set up and the dog would roam free to smell and all and get use to the room. When we brought home our son we let the dog smell the baby. But you have to know your dog's character. Cause if he is a bit dominated or agressive so slowly.

I saw Cesar doing a show on that situation. When the parents would let the dog enter the room (baby not there yet) let him roam in and out. Then when the baby came home, the parents were going to put the baby in his new bed and the dog followed. He let the parents enter the baby's room and had the dog lay down at the door of the room till the parents put the baby in the crib. Then the parents walked out of the room and praised the dog. Did that for a few days not letting the dog go in the room. Then they allowed the dog to enter a week later with Cesar there and let the dog smell the baby in his crib. Took the dog out of the room let him lay down at the door again and praised again. Two weeks later Cesar went back to the house to check up and all seems find. But like he said, keep an eye on the dog till the baby is a bit older. Oh yeah, he did give the dog the baby's blanket a few times so the dog smells it on regular basics.

But you know, a dog is a dog, you never know so make sure you have eyes behind your head too for a while.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate them very much. I will take your suggestions under advisement and hope that it goes as smoothly for me as for you guys! Any other suggestions or warnings of what not to do would be helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts