German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dog parents!
Greetings of the day!
Since last few days my dizzy had started shedding excessively. She is currently going under medication as vet has suggested two reasons for her excessive sheddding. Our vet said that it could be due to two reasons either due to some allergies or due to her diet.
Now, as a responsible dog owner, I'm supposed to take care of three things according to him.
1. Change and Test her diet.
2. Give her timely medication he prescribed. for allergies.
3. To keep atmosphere and in-house environment clean and hygienic.

I'm doing all. I'm trying as much as possible to keep my home clean from her fallen hair and cleaning it twice a day. Also, we've Winix WAC9500 as air purifier. However, it seems like my routine vacuum is failing again and again from picking those hairs properly and I'm experiencing some hairs again and again.
So, I'm thinking to replace my vacuum cleaner. Based on what you use and your past experience what would you suggest to bring home as a replacement?

Currently Looking at pet hair vacuum cleaners it seems like Dyson Animal V10 is perfect. but, still your opinion would be highly appreciated.

Also, please help me understand whether this companies labeling vacuums as pet hair vacuum are real or that's routine vacuum cleaners with just a tag of "pet"? It would be great if someone help me in understanding what stuff, I should look for in a vacuum when it comes to cleaning dizzy's hair.

Thank you.
Marcus.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you have a pretty hairy situation on your hands. (Sorry, the nerd in me couldn’t pass up on the pun). In my experience (GSD and Husky in the home), the pet part of the vacuum was an up sell of the same exact product, with a higher price tag. It did nothing fancy or extra, and I still burned through the pet vacuums as fast as I did regular ones. At one point, I was in the process of a move, and had all my money tied up in the new house, and my expensive Dyson took a dump. I couldn’t afford another at the time, so I got the cheap bissel at Walmart (it was 30 bucks, and you had to replace bags, it didn’t have the dump option that most have). I was expecting it to just surface clean the hair. I was SHOCKED when the bag filled up with literally 3 swipes of the vacuum. I had been vacuuming daily with the Dyson, and this cheap little vacuum cleaned up all the hair the Dyson was leaving behind. I still have that same vacuum, and it still works as well now as it did the first time.

I would recommend twice daily grooming as well. When mine blow their coats, I could make 20 pillows a day on what I brush off them. I found the grooming helps a ton, and I’ve stopped spending money on expensive vacuums. For the couches, I use a squeegee. Basically rake it all down to one area, and pull it off in a big fluff ball. I haven’t found a vacuum that does anything for furniture, so hopefully you get more replies soon!

·
Super Moderator
6,102 Posts
I agree with Jchrest that the 'pet vacuums ' are just a marketing ploy.I use a Shark just because it's light weight and the filters and tank are washable.I keep sheets draped on the furniture unless guests are visiting.Duct tape,cheap plastic combs and hairbrushes help to get hair off also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. It seems like I've been saved bare handed. I was thinking that there will be something extra when it comes to pet specific vacuums. As majority of people around me explained, such vacuums have special sort of brushes, better suction and all. but now, it seems like all has been just a marketing ploy as you guys said.

Better I buy an inexpensive bissell then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep sheets draped on the furniture unless guests are visiting.Duct tape,cheap plastic combs and hairbrushes help to get hair off also.
Hehe, seems like handy homemade remedy. Though I watched a similar video on my facebook feed today titled something like "How to be smart, instead of being tech-savvy!"

Good Idea. Thanks mate!

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
Yeah... the Dyson ain't all that. It definitely pulls dirt and hair out but I have the canister and it doesn't have a power head. If I had to do over, I would get a Shark. but I still miss my cheap little Dirt Devil.

I do have an air force blower and it will get the lose hair out of a coat. You will be covered in hair but a good deshedder, a comb and the blower will leave a lot of it outside.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I use a Bissell upright, bagless so I can keep it washed out as I am allergic to dogs. Walmart routinely puts them on sale for 40 or 50 bucks, and they are awesome. Lightweight, easy and all filters are removeable, washable and replaceable really cheap. They blow belts a bit but those are cheap to and dead easy to change if you can master a screwdriver.
I usually buy when they are on sale whether I need one or not, so I have one on standby. On average they are lasting about 3 years or so.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello dog parents!
Greetings of the day!
Since last few days my dizzy had started shedding excessively. She is currently going under medication as vet has suggested two reasons for her excessive sheddding. Our vet said that it could be due to two reasons either due to some allergies or due to her diet.
Now, as a responsible dog owner, I'm supposed to take care of three things according to him.
1. Change and Test her diet.
2. Give her timely medication he prescribed. for allergies.
3. To keep atmosphere and in-house environment clean and hygienic.

I'm doing all. I'm trying as much as possible to keep my home clean from her fallen hair and cleaning it twice a day. Also, we've Winix WAC9500 as air purifier. However, it seems like my routine vacuum is failing again and again from picking those hairs properly and I'm experiencing some hairs again and again.
So, I'm thinking to replace my vacuum cleaner. Based on what you use and your past experience what would you suggest to bring home as a replacement?

Currently Looking at pet hair vacuum cleaners it seems like Dyson Animal V10 is perfect. but, still your opinion would be highly appreciated.

Also, please help me understand whether this companies labeling vacuums as pet hair vacuum are real or that's routine vacuum cleaners with just a tag of "pet"? It would be great if someone help me in understanding what stuff, I should look for in a vacuum when it comes to cleaning dizzy's hair.

Thank you.
Marcus.
For the vacuum, Dyson Animal II is your friend. It's held up against our dog and doesn't show any signs of giving in--we also don't have any problem with dog fur getting stuck in the rollers or canister. It's also a good vacuum in and of itself.

For the dog, get a Furminator and brush her for a couple of minutes daily. Do one big brushing at first (5-10 minutes), then do shorter sessions (2-3 minutes) so you don't end up cutting her fur too much.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Use a Furminator rake, not the one with razor blades. Those cut the top coat and can damage it. They are designed for a different type of coat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dog started shedding a lot too bc of the warm weather. Not much you can do other than get a good vacuum. Luckily most of his hair accumulation is all along the outside of his crate which is easily cleanable

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just buy the cheapest Bissell or Eureka upright that you can find, as they will last every bit as long as the overpriced Dysons/Sharks, and have just as much suction. My $58 Eureka from Walmart just crapped out recently, after 11+ years of heavy daily use! (yup, it only cost us five bucks a year!) We just bought a new $99 Bissell this time, and it too will likely last at least a decade of heavy daily use. So... why would anyone want to pay more?

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
If she is spayed, she might be shedding more compared to intact dogs. I don't understand the hygienic part. Dogs can handle a lot of filth and bacteria. Is she allergic to house mites maybe?
What helps me when Deja is shedding (aka dropping her coat) is to brush her twice a day and vacuum every day (hubby's chore). She also gets coconut oil with supplements in it to ward off allergic reactions to 'whatever' in spring time. She is allergic t fleas so is on flea preventative.
Does she have bald patches?
Just some ideas. hope this helped.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
We had a mild winter I don’t if that is it but I feel like first time the shepherds shed all year round. My chihuahua rarely if ever sheds.I am back to bags and had a Miele basic model for a few years. I do like it better then my dyson as it does not clog. I will use to the vacuum on Max sometimes he does not mind. A good gentle bath with a conditioner helps to loosen up fur and still wanting a blower on my lists that keep getting longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the vacuum, Dyson Animal II is your friend. It's held up against our dog and doesn't show any signs of giving in--we also don't have any problem with dog fur getting stuck in the rollers or canister. It's also a good vacuum in and of itself.

For the dog, get a Furminator and brush her for a couple of minutes daily. Do one big brushing at first (5-10 minutes), then do shorter sessions (2-3 minutes) so you don't end up cutting her fur too much.
Thanks dear. It helped. I'm gromming her daily and the problem is not a routine but it just started getting tough day by day since last few days. I think I should visit my vet. Because it isn't normal shedding. There must be something that I can't sniff at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If she is spayed, she might be shedding more compared to intact dogs. I don't understand the hygienic part. Dogs can handle a lot of filth and bacteria. Is she allergic to house mites maybe?
What helps me when Deja is shedding (aka dropping her coat) is to brush her twice a day and vacuum every day (hubby's chore). She also gets coconut oil with supplements in it to ward off allergic reactions to 'whatever' in spring time. She is allergic t fleas so is on flea preventative.
Does she have bald patches?
Just some ideas. hope this helped.
Thanks Dear. It helped definitely. I'm doing it. There's not bald patches, anyway, I'm visiting my vet to clarify the root cause.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hello and welcome! I have a $20 Bissell stick vac that is a dream for my house! I say for “my house” because it is smaller and has wood flooring, it’s not that good on carpet and it would work perfectly fine in a larger house but you might have to empty it out a couple times.

Daily vacuuming or sweeping along with brushing sessions routinely is really all you can do to combat the shedding. My Rio will be a year old later this month and he is my first GSD, or even double coated dog that I’ve ever had. He never really shedded much until it started heating up outside, now oh my goodness! I brush him with an undercoat rake (I think it’s a nice one and I didn’t pay more than $10 for it at tractor supply) then a slicker brush (dollar tree!! Doesn’t get cheaper than that!) and finally what I call a dandy brush. That’s what we call them for horses not sure if it’s different for dogs, but it’s basically just like a finishing brush that gets the loose hairs off the surface. All I’m gonna say is that every bird on the property is going to have a little piece of Rio in their nests LOL

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I use a rake that I got from Petco for the undercoat that she sheds first. The following link shows a similar one: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-grooming-and-bathing/dog-brushes-and-deshedding-tools/magic-coat-self-cleaning-rake .
Then I use a Kong rubber brush for the guard hair (a rake doesn't take these off) and for her belly and legs https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-grooming-and-bathing/dog-brushes-and-deshedding-tools/kong-zoom-groom-brush
These are all the tools I use for her coat. For some reason after swimming a lot of hair comes off when dry.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
The most important piece of advice I can give is that if you get a Dyson, learn how to take it apart and clean it and put it back together. There are youtube videos that are golden.

My first Dyson (DC25) lasted just shy of a decade, and now I'm on #2 (an Animal). When it seems like suction is decreasing, it's usually because there is dog hair or a dirt clod lodged somewhere in the machine. Or the filters need to be cleaned. If you keep the filters clean and understand how to take apart the head assembly, those suckers (ha... haha... sorry) do a good job. My husband made the outrageously stupid decision to suck up a winter's worth of crumbled creosote (when I wasn't home), and I thought my beloved vacuum was totally trashed..... When they overheat, they shut off. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, and it's great again.

The volume of mud, wood ash, and animal hair and dander in our house is pretty gross. I killed a lot of vacuums that could not be taken apart and cleaned - once they're dead, they're junk. So for me, this works. The only other machine I like equally as well is a 30+ year old tank of a Kirby, but my mother is unwilling to part with it, alas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts