German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post on here. My gsd, Bosco, is an 18 month old male. He is a very play full and energetic dog and generally very well behaved. He can be quite anxious at times but nothing too bad.
All of a sudden the other morning when i came down for breakfast he was very nervous of me and didnt want to know. He is absoulutely fine with my wife (who gets up before me)
Then, its like he snaps out of it and becomes his normal self again. He has done this the last 4 mornings now, and he also does it when i have come back down just before bed time after having a shower. Very nervous and scared of me then i can offer to play and he snaps out of it, back to normal. He is eating and drinking fine, and 99% of the time he is totally normal.
Hopefully somebody has some advice for us, its not nice when he is ignoring me and being scared of me. We have always had a very close bond until this strange behaviour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Perhaps it was something you said...

...have you yelled at him or otherwise disciplined him just before this happened?

If it were me I would call him upstairs when I awoke just to break the cycle. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, my first post on here. My gsd, Bosco, is an 18 month old male. He is a very play full and energetic dog and generally very well behaved. He can be quite anxious at times but nothing too bad.
All of a sudden the other morning when i came down for breakfast he was very nervous of me and didnt want to know. He is absoulutely fine with my wife (who gets up before me)
Then, its like he snaps out of it and becomes his normal self again. He has done this the last 4 mornings now, and he also does it when i have come back down just before bed time after having a shower. Very nervous and scared of me then i can offer to play and he snaps out of it, back to normal. He is eating and drinking fine, and 99% of the time he is totally normal.
Hopefully somebody has some advice for us, its not nice when he is ignoring me and being scared of me. We have always had a very close bond until this strange behaviour.
Do you sleep walk? If not sure, record yourself sleeping. Wondering if you hurt him in your sleep which makes him scared of you in the morning till he realizes you aren't going to hurt him anymore and why he might be scared when it's close to bed time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hmm, this is an odd behavior. I suppose its possible the dog could be a little mental. I haven't really had anything of the sort happen with my dogs before. I am assuming you've had this dog since 8 weeks. What is his daily routine?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Totally a random guess but...could something be off with his vision?

I'm single and my dog is home with me alone except for the odd time I have a guest over. But I recently boarded her overnight, and when I went to pick her up, she acted like she didn't know who I was until she sniffed me. Then it was all tail wags and happiness. I think dogs in general don't have as good vision as we think they do; that might explain why he's wary of you after your shower (because you smell different) but I can't explain the morning thing.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Do you have a sleep disorder? We emit various chemicals and such at different times of our daily cycle. Some dogs are exceedingly sensitive to even small changes in body chemistry, language or odor
If this is a new behaviour maybe a vet check and possibly a doctor visit are in order.
My husband has sleep apnoea and we had a foster years ago that went absolutely ballistic anytime he started to get ready for bed. She would wake up the whole house when he stopped breathing, regardless of where we put her or how far away, but she avoided him like the plague while he was awake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts