German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to give her her daily "treat" which is a kids benedryl wrapped in turkey meat. I set it down on the ground and she sniffed it. Put her ears back and ran off to her bed :confused:
A few min later i called her into the house to take her pictures for the PAL registration and she immediately started to act a little off again...I asked her to sit and stay and went off to get her a few treats. I told her good dog when i went back to her and she took off to her bed again :frown2::frown2:
Not sure whats up with her? Was it something i said or a facial expression i made?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add. Last night her ear seemed to be bothering her. She kept shaking her head and rubbing her face. This morning she seemed ok but now her ear seems lanky and she is starting to shake her head more often. Could this be the reason she avoids me?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Why are you giving benadryl? Maybe she is reading and reacting to your 'vibes'.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What kind of allergies? They read our vibes. If you are tense about something (getting good pictures). How old is she?

·
Registered
31,810 Posts
First, take her to the vet to have her ear checked. While you are there, talk to your vet about allergy meds. Benadryl only lasts for 4 hours. Claritin/Zirtec, 24 hour, works for 12 hours in dogs. Her ear may be bothering her if her allergies aren't under control.

I wouldn't get to concerned. She may smell the meds and be avoiding it. Get a treat, without meds, and play with her. Be very upbeat.

As far as the pictures, getting the dog to stand and stay can be a little stressful sometimes. I would put it off until you have her ears checked and she's more herself.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
She's a rescue correct? Perhaps something seemingly innocuous happened that had a negative connotation from her previous home and triggered this reponse. It could be something completely unknown to you.

ETA, just saw ur 2nd post, get her checked out by your vet to rule out anything going on health wise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of allergies? They read our vibes. If you are tense about something (getting good pictures). How old is she?
Well to be honest the vet wasn't very specific when we took her in for her allergies a while back. He just gave her a shot and some medicated shampoo and told us to give her better food and some benadryl when we need it. However i think it is an environmental allergy as her allergies get pretty bad during the spring. She is about 5 or 6 I would say.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, take her to the vet to have her ear checked. While you are there, talk to your vet about allergy meds. Benadryl only lasts for 4 hours. Claritin/Zirtec, 24 hour, works for 12 hours in dogs. Her ear may be bothering her if her allergies aren't under control.

I wouldn't get to concerned. She may smell the meds and be avoiding it. Get a treat, without meds, and play with her. Be very upbeat.

As far as the pictures, getting the dog to stand and stay can be a little stressful sometimes. I would put it off until you have her ears checked and she's more herself.
Ok. Thank you for the advice. We called the vet and set the appointment for Tuesday

·
Registered
31,810 Posts
If it's environmental allergies, what are her symptoms? Itching? Chewing on her feet? Goopy eyes? Gunky ears?

My dog itches and chews on his feet. We gave him Cytopoint several weeks ago. I see him starting to itch once in a while but so far it's been great.

Chicken caused yeasty ears. Turkey makes him itch.

To be honest, I think benadryl is a terrible choice. It doesn't last long and they build up a tolerance to it just like people do. Zirtec or Claritin would be better.

And I would roll the pill in raw hamburger, get her doing obedience where she is pushing for the reward and then give it to her. She'll gulp it down before she even knows there is pill in there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's environmental allergies, what are her symptoms? Itching? Chewing on her feet? Goopy eyes? Gunky ears?

My dog itches and chews on his feet. We gave him Cytopoint several weeks ago. I see him starting to itch once in a while but so far it's been great.

Chicken caused yeasty ears. Turkey makes him itch.

To be honest, I think benadryl is a terrible choice. It doesn't last long and they build up a tolerance to it just like people do. Zirtec or Claritin would be better.

And I would roll the pill in raw hamburger, get her doing obedience where she is pushing for the reward and then give it to her. She'll gulp it down before she even knows there is pill in there.
Yes yes all of that except the ears as far as ive noticed. Her ears dont seem to have a bad smell at the moment.

We have been trying everything to help ease the allergies. I have bought a special bar soap from Legendary
canine to help with the hot spots. Shes currently eating Fromms duck formula as I've read that duck is better for dogs with allergies.

·
Registered
31,810 Posts
My vet was teh first in the area to use Apoquel. He's had great success with it and no reported side effects. It is an immunosuppressant so I chose to start with Cytopoint that works in a different way.

He told me that if the Cytopoint works then it's most likely environmental. if not, then we would try the Apoquel. Cytopoint worked! Now that it's under control, I can test to see what he's allergic too. It's been awesome to see him be comfortable and not digging so uncontrollably that I had to go physically stop him.

On a side note, if you think it's pollen related, try 1 teaspoon raw local honey 2x per day. That worked for my girl when she had pollen related allergies flair up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts