German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had 4.5 month old Nate for about 2 weeks now, and he was a dream... until about 2 days ago. :wub:
Suddenly, he:
Chomps (HARD)
Barks -a ton, but only in spurts
Pulls on his leash (only sometimes, though)
Has boundless energy (WHAT HAPPENED TO SLEEPING?!)
Chomps
Doesn't listen to commands he knows
Chomps
Messes with the cats
Ignores us
aaaaaaaand... CHOMPS

What happened to my sweet, cuddly, perfect baby? He...turned into.. A PUPPY!:eek:

Also, I think he may be testing boundaries now that he knows what the routine is.
Darn smart dog. :thinking:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
hahaha! Welcome to the monster stage!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Perfect time to start some puppy classes!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Sounds like a healthy pup!

Xander did that about a month ago right around when he hit 5 months...I didn't realize that was a stage - I knew about the butthead stage but the monster stage definitely reared it's ugly head...it was just like one day and "SNAP" I'm going to pull on the leash and bark at the cat if it comes near my crate and all the things you describe...weird how they do that.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Time for NILIF. Be consistent, don't get angry, reward the good behaviors when they happen.

Buy yourself a 12 pack of fancy beer and enjoy one every time you feel like having a meltdown.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Beer? Is that the secret? lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it was like, EXACTLY 2 days ago. Crazy! I was lulled into thinking that I had some seriously FANTASTIC training skills, and I just figured he was very soft and eager to please. NOT the case. Nate will be a challenge all the way through, it seems, but that'll make training more rewarding. :)
We are starting puppy classes, and I've been looking into a nearby agility facility, but that's not until we have at least a few months of basic obedience behind us.

I'll have to pull up this thread in about a year and a half or so, as he's snoring next to me on the couch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GoodKarma- Exactly!

I'm lucky enough to be the oldest of 7 children, and have had hound puppies. Zen in the face of chaos has been acheived.

Zen + Beer+ NILIF= Happy Tricia, Happy Nate :D

Unfortunately, the BF is the youngest of a bunch of kids, and has not experienced the hilarity/ unstoppable destructive force of a child/ puppy. (I think he figured a puppy would be similar to a kitten...BWAHAHAHA!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my house we call that the Evil Puppy from He** stage. :D

My 8 month old Gracie is the worst evil puppy I've ever owned. (but she's soooo much fun)
I find the best way to deal with it is concentrate on training. For my pup it works like a charm. When she is in the middle of bad behavior I give a command and it refocuses her. Don't worry they move on from this stage with training and patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts