German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why a 14-16 week old puppy, with 3 or 4 DHLPP vaccines, bordetella and rabies would be as healthy as a horse at night and not wake up the next morning? No runny nose, no gucky eyes, no cough, no labored breathing, no abnormal smell, no diarrhea (actually very firm stools), excellent appetite, normally thirsty, no lethargy, normally active. Not showing any signs of anything.

Three puppies from one litter, two puppies from another litter died. There are over twenty puppies in the foster home/rescue. All puppies eating the same food, all puppies getting vaccines from the same tray, all puppies playing in the same yard. If they were a bit younger I would think Fading Puppy Syndrome....

It's almost like SIDS.

If anyone has any ideas please share with me.....

thanks....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
there is a heart condition (genetic) known in GSDs that is much like human SIDS. no noticeable symptoms, just don't wake up one day...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Inherited Ventricular Arrythmia of the German Shepherd Dog
Yes, it is like SIDs in dogs. Otherwise known as Sudden Death. It is highly heritable from parents who carry this disorder.

Cherri

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I would think a virus, not genetics, two different litters. Food would be my first thought though. Is it hot where you are, rancid food, maybe, (puppies don't know if a food source has gone bad)? Any necropsies done? This is so sad to hear

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Isn't this what happened to Ceaser? It's very tragic.
Often happens to pups ages 15 weeks to about 8 months, is what I've read.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Were the two litters from the same breeder? Same sire, maybe? Were they kept together where they could be exposed to the same things? Incredibly sad, whatever the cause.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
i would go with the Sudden Death. Any necropsies done ? If it happens again I would have one done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These puppies are in rescue in Alabama. They're not GSDs, they're Lab mixes and Retriever mixes.

Two puppies from one litter, three puppies from another litter. We only knew one Mom, the other puppies were found in a ditch and they have been in fostered rescue for 5-6 weeks. All the puppies are eating the same food, out of more than twenty puppies in the foster home only 5 died over a period of 6 days.

We are definitely having a necropsy if it happens again, problem is if its SIDS we can't prevent it, but it would be good to know, anyway. I would think if it were bad food there would be vomiting or diarrhea- something other then simply not waking up. They have no symptoms at all- fine then gone.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
What food were they on?

There are lots of complaints against Nutro again:
Nutro Illnesses

I would not exclude food just bc you didn't see gastric symptoms! The pups system might not have yet the physical capability to recognize everything "bad" and have their system kick in to get rid of it (through diarrhea or barfing).
I don't believe it's SIDS.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Originally Posted By: mom~2~4GSDsDoes anyone know why a 14-16 week old puppy, with 3 or 4 DHLPP vaccines, bordetella and rabies would be as healthy as a horse at night and not wake up the next morning? No runny nose, no gucky eyes, no cough, no labored breathing, no abnormal smell, no diarrhea (actually very firm stools), excellent appetite, normally thirsty, no lethargy, normally active. Not showing any signs of anything.

Three puppies from one litter, two puppies from another litter died. There are over twenty puppies in the foster home/rescue. All puppies eating the same food, all puppies getting vaccines from the same tray, all puppies playing in the same yard. If they were a bit younger I would think Fading Puppy Syndrome....

It's almost like SIDS.

If anyone has any ideas please share with me.....

thanks....
Could what I bolded be an issue? That is a lot of puppies!

Could they have gotten into anything?

Where do they sleep at night? How (as in crates, together, with an adult dog, etc)?

How sad. I'm very sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are three people who work at the foster home taking care of them. They sleep one or two to a wired crate. Every puppy eats the same food. They are let out in groups of five and are observed while they are in the completely fenced in back yard.

The last puppy that died on Tuesday night was up at his crate door, as were all the other puppies, wagging his tail, expecting to be, either fed or to go out to play, when they were checked on at 3:30am. At 6am he was gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our rescue recently lost three of six pups in a litter whose mom arrived from a pound the day before she whelped. Through much testing and lab work, we discovered that the pups died from a lesser-known occurrence of Parvo where it attacks the heart muscle rather than the intestines. There is little information out there and vets are not familiar with it either. There are NO parvo-like symptoms because it never makes it out of the intestines. It is passed either when the bitch is pregnant or immediately after whelping. To raise awareness, I've documented their story on a page of our rescue's website. Please share this information with anyone you think may be interested. It's important to know that surviving pups could have heart damage and also the mother may have contaminated the environment with Parvo so no puppies or at-risk dogs should be exposed until the virus is eliminated. Here's a link to the page: Parvo Myocarditis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts