German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had 30 mins walk yesterday with a dog walker. This morning when I was leaving the house, I fed him. And then I came home and started to notice that my dog was limping on his front leg. And when I told him to sit, he lifts his left front paw.

And then it hit me, last night when we were getting ready to sleep, he was licking his paw a lot which is out of character. Now that I've seen what's going on with his paw, it looks like some kind of rash??? But like, wet??

Here are the pictures of his affected paw

What should I do? He keeps licking it and our vet isn't open until Monday. I'm super worried.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
In the first photo inside the blue outline on the photo, it looks to me like there is a tiny sore. Perhaps caused by a thorn or a burr that he stepped on? i think all the licking is causing the wetness and redness and what looks like a rash. This article has some suggestions for how to care for a sore paw:
https://www.entirelypets.com/how-to-soothe-your-dogs-sore-paws.html

Reactions: saintbob

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question, can he go on a short walk on pavements even though he limps and his paw is infected? I ordered boots online but it won't come till Monday as well

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My dog gets this from time to time and I've had boarder dogs get it too. Soaking in epsom salt helps a lot and that's something you can get at the drugstore and do now. It it is just that paw you could make a bowl of epsom soak or put 2 inches of water in your tub with epsom and stand the dog in it for 5 mins twice a day.

The best thing of all for it is epsom and Betagen spray- it will be 100% better after 2 days of treatment. When dogs have this problem I see if there is a surface they can walk on without limping (smooth surface. Gravel is the worst because it goes up in there and hurts the inflamed part) and there's no reason for them not to walk on surfaces that don't get up in there and hurt it.

Sometimes it starts with an ice crust and they get a little scrape and then lick and then the wet, warm environment inside the paw just grows all the nasties. Easily treatable, no big deal, and may happen again but once you have the stuff you're prepared!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I keep Silver Shield Gel on hand for those types of things. It's antibacterial with no alcohol to sting and it dries quickly. It's most likely an irritation from something, not an infection.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Jax. Yes the topical meds I bought is for rashes and irritation. He's been lethargic for 2 days... Very quiet, ears down, staring blankly a lot. I'm guessing he's having fever. 2 days ago it was raining out here in LA, I suppose he stepped on a filthy puddle or something. I hate seeing my dog like this.

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
He's been lethargic for 2 days... Very quiet, ears down, staring blankly a lot. I'm guessing he's having fever. 2 days ago it was raining out here in LA, I suppose he stepped on a filthy puddle or something. I hate seeing my dog like this.

Kinda concerned about lethargy. Maybe a vet visit just to be sure ?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
... He's been lethargic for 2 days... Very quiet, ears down, staring blankly a lot. I'm guessing he's having fever. 2 days ago it was raining out here in LA, I suppose he stepped on a filthy puddle or something. I hate seeing my dog like this.

Yeah, an irritated paw might slow them down a bit, or cause a limp, but a dog acting lethargic and staring off into space like that should be seen by a Vet!

My dog tore up a pad pretty bad at one point. It bled profusely, and once I got the bleeding stopped, she was happy to let it rest a bit. But I sprayed it a couple times with vetricyn and she was her normal, active self within a day. If your dog is still acting lethargic today I'd definitely recommend taking him in! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just called the vet, they didn't have a spot open today. I got in tomorrow morning. The paw has gotten worse, on top of the rash now it's swelling and I'm quite sure he's having fever: his mouth's temperature is warm. He's just laying down now... Although still walks and answers when I call.... I don't think I've ever seen him this weak ever...

I just keep giving him a kiss on the nose and praying he doesn't stay like this too long.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts