German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 13 week old puppy Zorro has suddenly lost his appetite. He had his usual 1.5 cups in the AM yesterday and since then has not eaten much. Has been drinking water (although a little off there too). Since this morning his energy level is low too. I intend to watch him till end of day today and take him to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't improve. Has anyone experienced this with their puppy/dog ? What are the likely cause ? Inputs are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
It could be alot of things from an upset tummy to parvo. I would take a puppy that young to the vet as soon as possible and watch him for his liquid intake. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea, take in him immediately.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'd take him to the vet soon- puppies that young can go downhill fast. Has he swallowed anything that could be causing an obstruction? Have you given him a rawhide chew?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd take him to the vet soon- puppies that young can go downhill fast. Has he swallowed anything that could be causing an obstruction? Have you given him a rawhide chew?
No rawhide for him yet. He us usually under my watchful eye.. but he does spend time in our fenced backyard..and I hope hasn't swallowed something ! I took him outside now and he seemed to have very very runny poop..so I'm leaning towards upset tummy. I'm taking him in the AM to our vet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be alot of things from an upset tummy to parvo. I would take a puppy that young to the vet as soon as possible and watch him for his liquid intake. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea, take in him immediately.
Well he is up to date with his shots including Parvo. I'm watching him closely and he hasnt thrown up anything yet. He does have a very runny stool (as of 10 minutes back). I'm hoping the vet says its upset tummy and not anything more major.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Has he been out with other dogs or in areas where dogs have been? Even with shots they aren't totally protected until their final shot at 16 wks. Take a fecal with you tomorrow. Parasites (coccidia, giarida, even worms) can cause a loose stool and lack of appetite. If he tests negative for worms and coccida I would ask for a giardia test (it's different than the others). Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Glad you're going to the vet- my pups picked up giardia by drinking from a puddle in our pasture, it's a nasty parasite and like AlphaMom says you should check for that too. Hope he feels better soon! You might offer him some Gatorade tonight to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated- mine like red and orange, the green stuff not so much.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Also note that Giardia does not always present itself in a fecal.....it may take several fecal tests .
Giardia is a nasty parasite that will cause gastric upset, and at times...bring a small puppy "down" very fast.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My Brody had Giardia too...You need a decent size poop sample and may need to keep checking it, it depends on what stage of the lifecycle the parasite is in will determine if it will show up or not!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vet's visit brought a sigh of relief. Zorro tested negative for parasites. Based on his current symptoms, the vet deemd that Giarda test is not yet a possibility and has given Metronidazole. If this doesn't knock off the loose stools in 3 days then he will start getting concerned. I'll keep the post alive with updates and thanks for everyone's feedback. His appetite has picked up significantly since yesterday though

·
Registered
330 Posts
Glad to hear it. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
Low energy, lethargy, depression in a pup that young is scarey.

Glad you've taken him to a vet.

Keep an eye on him anyway. A cheap thermometer from Drug mart, six bucks can be a lifesaver. Pup's temperature should be 102. If that is up beyond 103, then time to call the vet. If it is up to 104, then call vet on route. It gives them that much more information when you call. What was his temperature when you got him in there?

Usually when my dogs do not scarf up their meal, I take notice and may wait until the next meal -- for adult dogs, and then get my thermometer out. Young puppies I am a little more aggressive about any time they do not want to eat, or start lying around.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Giardia test not yet a possiblity? What does that mean...that the vet doesn't have the testing equipment to test? That makes no sense to me. If he does have giardia 3 days on metronidazole will not be enough.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Giardia test not yet a possiblity? What does that mean...that the vet doesn't have the testing equipment to test? That makes no sense to me. If he does have giardia 3 days on metronidazole will not be enough.
Day two of Metronidazole and Zorro is back in shape. eats fine and poop is normal. Zorro was in a kennel over thanksgiving and the vet thinks it was stress that caused the upset tummy (it was his first time in boarding). His fecal test and the symptoms were what caused the vet to determine that Giardia test is not necessary as of last week. He did caution that if things don't start to improve in 2 days then he'll do the Giardia test.
Thank god it was just stress and not anything more serious.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Low energy, lethargy, depression in a pup that young is scarey.

Glad you've taken him to a vet.

Keep an eye on him anyway. A cheap thermometer from Drug mart, six bucks can be a lifesaver. Pup's temperature should be 102. If that is up beyond 103, then time to call the vet. If it is up to 104, then call vet on route. It gives them that much more information when you call. What was his temperature when you got him in there?

Usually when my dogs do not scarf up their meal, I take notice and may wait until the next meal -- for adult dogs, and then get my thermometer out. Young puppies I am a little more aggressive about any time they do not want to eat, or start lying around.
Yes I'm a little more aggressive with puppies too. They can do down real fast.
His temperature was normal..Dog's rectal temperature is very similar to a human baby. Anything upto 102 is low grade. 103 onwards is medium grade fever and escalates from there on. We have our kid's rectal thermometer (when they were babies) that is now Zorro's thermometer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Glad to hear that he's doing better.

We went through the same thing when our guy was a young pup. The same meds did the trick but not until he needed hospitalization with IV's for one night. It turned out to be SIBO. We think it was due to a change in his food but he had quite a bit of bacteria overgrowth in his intestines and showed the same symptoms as yours did.

Stick to one food as best as you can provided that his poop is good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts