German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed Blitz was walking with a Limp yesterday. He has an appointment scheduled for Saturday.

Reviewed Furbo footage, seems to have developed it just throughout the day. I haven't witnessed any trauma or injuries while outside. I checked limbs for tenderness or reaction, nothing. He does not whine or cry when walking. I checked paws etc, nothing.

I have youtube videos to view.

Looking to see if anyone has any information. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
I wonder if the slick floor caused a slide and pulled a muscle or torn something internal. Vet check for certain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 7 month-old male is going to the vet today, because of limping. Over the past couple weeks he’s started intermittently limping on 3 of his 4 legs, but day before yesterday it got worse, and he’s been limping exactly like your video #3. I’m thinking it might be pano, but we’ll see what the vet says. I really hope it isn’t anything like an injured ligament which would require an op.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 7 month-old male is going to the vet today, because of limping. Over the past couple weeks he’s started intermittently limping on 3 of his 4 legs, but day before yesterday it got worse, and he’s been limping exactly like your video #3. I’m thinking it might be pano, but we’ll see what the vet says. I really hope it isn’t anything like an injured ligament which would require an op.
His limping was barely noticeable when it started, then became more visible and was not sure which legs or area it may be. This morning he was having difficulty even getting up off the ground and the limping is severe. He was whining/crying last night but I think he was sleeping. Let me know what happens at the vet, hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
His limping was barely noticeable when it started, then became more visible and was not sure which legs or area it may be. This morning he was having difficulty even getting up off the ground and the limping is severe. He was whining/crying last night but I think he was sleeping. Let me know what happens at the vet, hope everything goes well.
My bad, it’s actually Limp #1 my boy is doing, but I’ll make sure to post the results of our vet visit later this afternoon. He’s been holding his paw out like yours is and limping exactly that way.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
He is at an age when you would expect to see pano, which can be very painful. Fortunately it is self resolving over time. Have you tried bending his leg at the elbow to try to determine if there is pain in the elbow? Odds are it is pano and he will grow out of it.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Most soft tissue injuries won’t get a reaction when manipulating. His limp does seem acute, though. He’s obviously in discomfort.

I’d absolutely buy one or two, quality 4’x6’ rubber backed mats that he can lay on when you’re not home. You can always put something soft on top of the mat.

Hard wood floors are hard enough on all dogs. You want stability when he gets up from laying down. Towels / blankets slide around way too easily causing splaying and all kinds of muscle tears / sprains.

Best of luck at the vet. Hopefully, it’s nothing major and he’ll get something for pain and to help him sleep for a few days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would recommend a large area rug. Your dog will love it.

Noticed Blitz was walking with a Limp yesterday. He has an appointment scheduled for Saturday.

Reviewed Furbo footage, seems to have developed it just throughout the day. I haven't witnessed any trauma or injuries while outside. I checked limbs for tenderness or reaction, nothing. He does not whine or cry when walking. I checked paws etc, nothing.

I have youtube videos to view.

Looking to see if anyone has any information. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information on the floors. I will look into a Mat/Rug for him. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
He doesn’t react at all when I manipulate the legs he limps on. I’ve made sure to move and touch his legs all over when he starts limping, there’s no noticeable reaction whatsoever.

There’s a soft bed in his crate, where he sleeps at night and for naps during the day. He spends a lot of time in our backyard with me and the kids these days, on grass. We have hardwood floors in the house but also plenty of rugs and kitchen mats, plus his own raised “place” dog cot, so hopefully we’re providing him with a comfortable enough environment.

I have worried about the way he plays with the flirt pole, and with the way he wipes out sometimes chasing after his frisbee. I guess we’ll see what the vet says. The fact that he’s been limping sporadically on 3 legs so far gives me hope that it’s a temporary condition like pano and not something more serious. I’ve recently changed the way we play, making him sit/stay until I release him to chase after the ball or disc, and I’ve cut way down on flirt pole time, while also finding ways to make it more fluid of an exercise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s definitely his front left leg. It’s very stiff. I tried manipulating and bending it, there’s a lot of resistance. I can not bend it. He also appears to have no reaction or pain to it

·
Registered
32 Posts
The vet says pano. I’m relieved. Obviously it’s not ideal to learn that your puppy has a very painful condition that can’t really be treated aside from pain, but to my mind it’s much better than a scenario which would’ve required him going under the knife.
The vet gave me pain meds, and hopefully this flare up will pass soon.

One thing I am unclear about is activity: do I still need to limit my pup’s activity, even though it’s not a soft tissue injury? I think we’d both dearly love being able to resume our long walks...

·
Super Moderator
6,970 Posts
The vet says pano. I’m relieved. Obviously it’s not ideal to learn that your puppy has a very painful condition that can’t really be treated aside from pain, but to my mind it’s much better than a scenario which would’ve required him going under the knife.
The vet gave me pain meds, and hopefully this flare up will pass soon.

One thing I am unclear about is activity: do I still need to limit my pup’s activity, even though it’s not a soft tissue injury? I think we’d both dearly love being able to resume our long walks...
your vet would be the best one to answer.... sometimes it’s not a yes or a no but more of a 5 or 10 minute walks are ok type deal. in general however, whenever your dog is in pain, and especially while on pain meds... you’ll want to restrict activity since the meds may cause them to overdo it because the pain has subsided.

also, your vet may have already informed you or maybe it’s been mentioned, but it’s not uncommon for pano to rotate through the other limbs as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts