German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! Charlie started making a fuss a few minutes ago and I went to check on him. We just came back in from a potty trip not too long ago. I let him out and his face is swollen like he has hives or something. Anyone ever had this happen to their dog before?

He’s got hives on both sides of his nose, his chin, and his both eyebrows. His ears are a little red but there are no other marks on him. He isn’t having any trouble breathing or moving around.
I’ve got a little over an hour before the vet comes into the office. I gave him some Benadryl to help clam him down for the trip and hopeful bring the swelling down some. Any other advice?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m thinking it’s a bite of some kind too. Looks like it’s in his mouth! Poor baby! He’s making a fuss about his nose and mouth and nothing else. The Benadryl is kicking in so he’s clamed down now. Still pretty swollen though… I’ll have to take him in this morning if it doesn’t get any better. First time something like this has happened and it freaked me out.
Funny thing is that it’s still early and the bees and such are not buzzing around yet. Could be ants though. I’ve got some beds springing up around here too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the responses. Great info here and I'm glad to know I'm not alone and this has happened before.

Vet says that I don't have a medical emergency on my hands (thank God) and I just need to keep an eye on him for the next few days. He's resting comfortably and no longer seems bothered by what happened to his face. All the swelling is gone except for a little puffiness in his eye brows.

New pics-

I didn't find a bite in his mouth but I did find a sticker from some kind of thorn bush stuck in the side of his nose. Maybe that caused it? I'll let him rest today and give him another dose of benedryl this afternoon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep… I love benadryl. I keep always keep a bottle around just for them. I can’t count the number of times the vet has asked me if I have some at home.
I always do anyway as I’m allergic to something that I haven’t been able to pinpoint but every few months I’ll come in contact with it and get welts from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. Wish it worked as fast on me!

Charlie’s all better now. No swelling anywhere and he’s not down with this whole resting idea. I’ll have to let him out to play with the others in a little while. I just took him outside again and the booger snapped at a bee! If that’s what got him then I may be in for a very long summer…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.