German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a couple days ago I noticed Rosko limping after he would wake from his naps. By limping I mean he would hold the back left leg completely off the ground while walking. It would go away after about 5 seconds, but it got me concerned. So then I started critiquing everything. he goes into the vet thursday to get checked. thus far at every vet visit he has said the hips have felt good. Can you guys watch this video and tell me if you notice anything? Bunny hopping, etc.....

https://youtu.be/1C5jhoq7cFs

·
Registered
906 Posts
I watched your video. you have a really cute dog : )

I really can't tell if he is bunny hopping. I had a lab that was diagnosed TPLO and her bunny hop was very noticeable...you couldn't mistake if for anything other than a bunny-hop.

You would be the best judge of a change in your dog's gate.
And if you think he might have an injury, it might be best to rest him until he sees the vet.

Recently, my dog was favoring his left rear leg and his trainer recommended that I rest him for 3-4 days. I did that and now he is fine.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Holding the leg up and close to the body is a sign of an acl injury or a groin pull injury.

Did he come to a sudden stop while running? That's what caused both the acl and the groin pull injury on my girl.

The only way to tell hip issues is an xray.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He seems to have some kind of injury. Just doesn't seem quite right. It seems to come and go. After sleeping and first getting up it seems to bother him but once he starts moving it seems to subside. Per video When he is running full speed after the ball he looks to be fine to me. It's upon his return that he seems to have a different stride. Problem is short of a tranquilizer dart he won't not jump and run at full speed at some point during the day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree.
It is on the return that something seems off or clumsy.
Sorry, I can't explain it better but I think I saw what you mean.

I hope all goes well.
Take care.

·
Super Moderator
7,341 Posts
one of my boys had pano around roskos age.... stiff when he got up, could run fine but when he slowed down into a trot or came down hill he'd stagger and limp. it was a front leg that was affected.

from the video, he looks fine to me. running, jumping, leaping, turns... pivots...

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took Rosko to the vet today to get his limp checked. I showed the vet the same video I posted here and after his exam It turns out he has a sprained acl. Vet said to give him an anti inflammatory for 10 days or so and try to limit his activity. Yeah right. Vet said his hips felt good.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think he done this while either jumping to chase a bird. Or last week when he jumped down the stairs from about 8 stairs high.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
So I took Rosko to the vet today to get his limp checked. I showed the vet the same video I posted here and after his exam It turns out he has a sprained acl. Vet said to give him an anti inflammatory for 10 days or so and try to limit his activity. Yeah right. Vet said his hips felt good.
A "sprained" acl? And acl is a ligament. How do you sprain that?

If that does not clear up after the 10 days of meds, please take him to an ortho for an opinion.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
I know what a sprain/pull is.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My Newlie had surgery for a torn ACL three weeks ago tomorrow. He never reached the point of really holding his foot off the ground, it was just persistent limping that made me take him in. He would limp and then I would restrict his activity for a while, but as soon as I would release him to go and play, he would start limping again. People have asked me how it happened and I don't know for sure, but I suspect he did it while chasing a ball. He chased every ball like his life depended on it, I mean a full out run, and then would come to a dead stop when he caught the ball. In his younger years, it never seemed to affect him, but I guess his knees could only take so much punishment. I sure hope your pup is OK.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Find yourself a vet that really knows about ACL injuries. Safe yourself time and money (although it will not seem like it, doing it "right" the first time = saves a bunch of repeats). (Voice of experience here.)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A "sprained" acl? And acl is a ligament. How do you sprain that?

If that does not clear up after the 10 days of meds, please take him to an ortho for an opinion.
Types of ACL Injuries-Topic Overview

No tear so grade 1 . And yeah the vet said that if no improvement with an anti inflammatory and limited activity for 10 days. bring him back in.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Newlie had surgery for a torn ACL three weeks ago tomorrow. He never reached the point of really holding his foot off the ground, it was just persistent limping that made me take him in. He would limp and then I would restrict his activity for a while, but as soon as I would release him to go and play, he would start limping again. People have asked me how it happened and I don't know for sure, but I suspect he did it while chasing a ball. He chased every ball like his life depended on it, I mean a full out run, and then would come to a dead stop when he caught the ball. In his younger years, it never seemed to affect him, but I guess his knees could only take so much punishment. I sure hope your pup is OK.
The vet was really persistent that I limit his activity as much as possible for at least 10 days. If he tears the ligament he says its a whole new ball game.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Types of ACL Injuries-Topic Overview

No tear so grade 1 . And yeah the vet said that if no improvement with an anti inflammatory and limited activity for 10 days. bring him back in.
I don't need to be schooled on ACL injuries. I'm just now paying off a knee on my girl.

Tthe only definitive way to diagnose an ACL is with an MRI or during surgery. If it's bad enough a drawer test can diagnose it. There is no way for you to know if there is "no tear".

Been there. Done this. It took a year to fully diagnose her complete with conservative management.

So what I'm saying to you is.... take him to an ortho if he is not better after 10 days. Don't waste your money on your regular vet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts