German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Unfortunately, the liquid poop returned during the night and again this morning.

I sent an email to the vet just now.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Poor old Joey. Hope it's better soon.
Thank you.

The vet is putting him back on the Metronizadole. I’m so upset right now. I try so hard to keep him healthy, his bed linens clean, taking him out many times a day to do his business. This feels like such a step back.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I’m so upset right now. I try so hard to keep him healthy, his bed linens clean, taking him out many times a day to do his business. This feels like such a step back.
I'm sorry you and Joey are dealing with this. It's so hard when they're super-seniors and you feel like you have to so carefully watch everything. Hang in there and let us know how you're both doing.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
He has very little appetite. I had to force the pill in his mouth. He’s drinking fine.

No poop since last night; I figured that’s from not eating.

He also has nasal congestion, which probably affects his sense of taste. I spray the nostrils with saline and clean with a wet cloth.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Would it be possible to pick up a few cans of Hills I/D or A/D from the vet, just to try? It's sometimes the only thing sick dogs will eat.
I can check with the vet. What makes it palatable?

I just ground up his kibble in the food processor. Mixed a half cup with some pumpkin and water. He ate it, but we’ll see how his tummy tolerates it.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I don't know what it is that makes it palatable or digestible. The A/D is what they feed dogs in critical care, or coming out of surgery. I/D is for severe gastric distress -- first food many dogs with torn up GI tracts can eat. It's last-resort canned food that just works. Even vets who don't sell much Hills/Science Diet tend to have cases of it stashed in the back, as it's so widely used in clinics because it works.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My step daughter has a puppy who has been having repeated bad diarrhea episodes. He has been to the vet, ruled out lots of things. They are feeding a “fancy” kibble and some fancy supplements, trying to do best for pup.

I gave them some of the GI food I have and said please give him a few weeks on this w no supplements and he is already pooping normally.

I also said, don’t read the ingredients! It works and that’s all you need to know lol.

And it did work, so another one for my list of success stories

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
I made a list for the vet for tomorrow’s visit. The main things are: the lack of appetite, weight loss, the nasal congestion, and now when I help him outside he staggers like he’s drunk. We also found a growth on his lower lip.

I’m feeling drained and depressed, but I have to keep up hope for Joey.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
For what it's worth my old girl had that congested sound when she would breathe through her nose while sleeping with her head down. Sometimes benadryl seemed to help but that particular issue didn't ever cause her any significant problem. She was that way at least the last year of her life if not more.

At a certain point though, things start to fail past the point of what we can help with. I wish you the best, you are so dedicated to Joey.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Joey took a turn for the worse last night. His front legs gave out, and we couldn’t get him up. The vet is coming over on her lunch hour today to help him cross over to the Rainbow Bridge. We all agreed it was the right time.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I’ll be thinking of you. You have taken such good care of Joey and given him so much love. So glad your vet can come to your home.

hang in there.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I’ll be thinking of you. You have taken such good care of Joey and given him so much love. So glad your vet can come to your home.

hang in there.
Thank you. My husband and I are heartbroken.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Joey has had such a good life with his people that love him. I'm glad the vet will come to the house to help him pass over. You're doing the best for him right now but I know how heartbreaking it is. Hugs to you.

Rest easy, sweet Joey. 💜

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Joey has had such a good life with his people that love him. I'm glad the vet will come to the house to help him pass over. You're doing the best for him right now but I know how heartbreaking it is. Hugs to you.

Rest easy, sweet Joey. 💜
Thank you.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts