German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Well, good. This seems like it's heading back in the right direction finally. Hopefully the sweet old boy will soon be back to normal. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Over the weekend, saw veterinarian at dog training.
Subject came up, and she has given her own dog pumpkin for diarrhea.

I did not realize at first he is a very senior fellow. Do vets ever prescribe anything similar to pedialyte for dogs?
Something to keep them hydrated and maybe a little fortified while they are not taking solid food? I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Well, good. This seems like it's heading back in the right direction finally. Hopefully the sweet old boy will soon be back to normal. Keep us posted.
I will keep you all posted.

Taking everything a day at a time.

“Once you choose hope, anything is possible” - Christopher Reeve

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This morning’s poop was still soft, but starting to form. It also smells like poop, not the “mystery smell” the liquid poop had.

He ate meat and drank. I made some boiled chicken for later.

The vet said it’s ok for Joey to take his heart worm medicine (scheduled for tomorrow).

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Omg I wouldn’t give him that right now.
Do you give it every 30 days? It can be delayed to 45.
Did you by any chance order the bone meal? It makes all the difference and they need it.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
The vet said it’s ok for Joey to take his heart worm medicine (scheduled for tomorrow).
I agree with Sunflowers about holding off a bit on the heartworm meds if you haven't already given them. Maybe Joey's meds don't typically bother his innards, but my young dog's normally solid poops turn to mush for 24-36 hours after his monthly heartworm meds (Interceptor Plus). Waiting some extra days might be better for Joey since he's just now starting to show signs of improvement with the diarrhea?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Omg I wouldn’t give him that right now.
Do you give it every 30 days? It can be delayed to 45.
Did you by any chance order the bone meal? It makes all the difference and they need it.
I’ve been giving him bone meal powder with water every morning.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I agree with Sunflowers about holding off a bit on the heartworm meds if you haven't already given them. Maybe Joey's meds don't typically bother his innards, but my young dog's normally solid poops turn to mush for 24-36 hours after his monthly heartworm meds (Interceptor Plus). Waiting some extra days might be better for Joey since he's just now starting to show signs of improvement with the diarrhea?
Yeah, both of mine get watery poos because of HW stuff. We use Heartgard.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yeah, both of mine get watery poos because of HW stuff. We use Heartgard.
We gave him his heartworm medicine (Sentinel Spectrum) this morning. Will keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
He did get very soft poop yesterday after taking the heartworm medicine. Today the poop is better formed. I’m hoping it improves by the day.

He’s seeing the vet this coming Tuesday for his Adequan shot. His antibiotic course will be done by then.

He won’t eat kibble, but he will eat meat, chicken, pumpkin, egg and applesauce.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The time in between poops is very good, but the consistency is still soft. I thought that would have improved by now.

He had water with bone broth, plus his medications. He had a little meat. I’m trying to feed him smaller, frequent meals.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Add bone meal to the meat. Muscle meat causes soft stools if it isn’t eaten together with bone.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Add bone meal to the meat. Muscle meat causes soft stools if it isn’t eaten together with bone.
Wow - had no idea!

Is bone meal different than the bone broth powder (powdered elk antler) I’m giving?

Correction from a post 4 days ago: I said bone meal, when I should have said bone broth powder.

Also, what brand bone meal do you use?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Bone broth powder is dehydrated soup.
Bone meal is ground bone.

I take this myself.
For Hans, I use 3/4 teaspoon for 1.5 lbs of meat, weighed before boiling.
Got the delivery of bone meal yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed that it will work on firming up the stools.

I made the mistake yesterday of thinking Joey could handle some chicken liver - this morning’s poop was very soft.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Yeah, organs will cause soft poos. Introduce super slowly after the stools firm up.
For 1.5 lbs raw ground beef, I add 3/4 teaspoon bone meal, after cooking and draining.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Today is Joey’s vet visit for his Adequan shot. Will let her know about the soft poop coming at better intervals.

Will also speak to her about the congestion in his nose. Saline helps, but does not fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
They were running really late, so we decided to have the vet tech come out and give Joey his shot in the car.

We’ll keep an eye on him and call the vet if anything changes (he’s finished his 10-day course).

Today (Wednesday) was his best eating day. Poop was a little firmer than the day before.

I think the bone meal is going to make a difference. Thank you Sunflowers for the recommendation.

Thank you all for listening and suggesting.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yeah, organs will cause soft poos. Introduce super slowly after the stools firm up.
For 1.5 lbs raw ground beef, I add 3/4 teaspoon bone meal, after cooking and draining.
I’m amazed at how well the bone meal is working for him.

I think we can finally make a trip to our second home in PA.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts