German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
this!!
i don’t think many are noticing that this is a 15yr old dog.
I’m glad that he’s drinking water. I mixed a packet of FortiFlora in the water to help him with his gut.

Will try again to give him the pumpkin, rice and boiled chicken I made. I don’t know why he’s being finicky.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just spoke to the vet. She prescribed Metronidazole (2 pills a day, for 10 days). It’s an antibiotic and an anti-diarrheal.

I mentioned the last poop had specks of blood. She said there would be a concern if the blood still shows up after the course of pills.

I feel some relief that Joey has something that could help him.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Hopefully he will eat. Hans always did well with Metro, fixed him up very quickly.
Fingers crossed it works as well and quickly for Joey. ❤

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Happy half birthday, sweet boy!
I honestly wouldn’t keep feeding him, if he is drinking it addresses the risk of dehydration, , that gut needs rest because it’s very inflamed and pushing food into it won’t let it heal. Just what I would do.
All he ate today was a little ground beef with rice, and some unsweetened applesauce. Still drinking with no problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ahhhhhh, Happy 15 1/2 Joey!! His amazing attitude you spoke of just speaks of the trust you’ve built over the years!
You are taking amazing care of this wonderful boy! I hope the new medicine helps and brings him comfort.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ahhhhhh, Happy 15 1/2 Joey!! His amazing attitude you spoke of just speaks of the trust you’ve built over the years!
You are taking amazing care of this wonderful boy! I hope the new medicine helps and brings him comfort.
Thank you. Hoping this medicine will do the trick. I hate seeing him like this.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He slept the whole night, doing a minimal soft poop. When I went to clean him up, he started pooping liquid.

He took a little ground beef with his medications.

Since he’s being so particular, and I wanted him to get some nutrition, would canned food work? If so, what could I give him?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
At this point I really would fast him for 24 hours.
His gut is too inflamed to digest food. He’s not benefitting from any nutrition if he can’t absorb it.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
At this point, I agree with Sunflowers. What goes in, is coming out as liquid so nothing is being gained. 24 hour rest on gut and then try cooked rice and boiled chicken.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Rice is full of carbs and messes up Hans’ gut. Rice can ferment in the intestinal tract and cause exacerbation of diarrhea. Yes, I know many people and vets recommend it, but my experience is it makes things worse.
After fasting, I would boil some ground beef or chicken, strain off all the fat, and mix with 1 teaspoon of bone meal,

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I do a fasting day once a week, this allows the resources that would be used for digestion, to be used to repair other areas.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Canned Hill's I/D (available from the vet) sometimes works wonders. It's a prescription food that is often the first food very sick dogs with severe gastric distress can tolerate. I don't love the ingredients, but for short-term use, I've seen it used with enough sick dogs to know it's very easy to digest. Even vets who don't otherwise stock Hill's RX tend to have a supply of I/D because it's so widely used for dogs with gastric distress.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Canned Hill's I/D (available from the vet) sometimes works wonders. It's a prescription food that is often the first food very sick dogs with severe gastric distress can tolerate. I don't love the ingredients, but for short-term use, I've seen it used with enough sick dogs to know it's very easy to digest. Even vets who don't otherwise stock Hill's RX tend to have a supply of I/D because it's so widely used for dogs with gastric distress.
i don’t know if this is the same stuff but I have had miracles with the Urgent Care canned food. I’m blanking on who manufactures it. Royal Canin maybe? Calorie dense but easy on the stomach and VERY palatable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
TMI (?) - Joey‘s stool yesterday was still soft, but was brown and not watery. He got through the night without pooping.

This morning he ate some lean ground beef with his medications, and drank water.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts