German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, when we brought Joey out to do his business, liquidy poop came out.

It continued hourly between 9pm and midnight, then every 2 hours.

The later poop looked like it had a grainy texture.

He still has it this morning. We’re letting him rest and holding off on food until he settles down.

The only thing that I fed him differently yesterday was the brand of canned salmon (Bumble Bee).

We’ll keep an eye on him. The vet is open today and tomorrow; closed on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Happens now and again, does he have salmon regularly?
Fast him for a day, try the pumpkin and/or boiled chicken and rice if necessary.

I wouldn't worry this early, he could have eaten something you're unaware of but until it lasts more than a day or two, just continue to keep an eye on him

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happens now and again, does he have salmon regularly?
Fast him for a day, try the pumpkin and/or boiled chicken and rice if necessary.

I wouldn't worry this early, he could have eaten something you're unaware of but until it lasts more than a day or two, just continue to keep an eye on him
He probably has salmon at least twice a week. Is there such a thing as too much salmon?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Our young male had a round of it about a week ago.

Woke my wife and I up basically every few hours through a night needing to go out.

She gave him pumpkin, and she works from home for now, so was able to watch him. He recovered pretty quickly. Only one really bad night.

We sent a stool sample to the vet and they were able to determine there was no infectious bacteria (at least nothing they apparently would not expect to find in a dog's intestinal tract).

Hope your pup is OK. + 1 on pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our young male had a round of it about a week ago.

Woke my wife and I up basically every few hours through a night needing to go out.

She gave him pumpkin, and she works from home for now, so was able to watch him. He recovered pretty quickly. Only one really bad night.

We sent a stool sample to the vet and they were able to determine there was no infectious bacteria (at least nothing they apparently would not expect to find in a dog's intestinal tract).

Hope your pup is OK. + 1 on pumpkin.
Thankfully, my husband and I are both retired, so someone is always with Joey.

How much pumpkin can we start him off with?

Once his stool firms up, we can bring a sample to the vet.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joey's such an old fellow that I might be hesitant to fast him for an entire day. If the poop is totally liquid, I'd cook up some white rice and chicken and then stir in a tablespoon of pumpkin with that.
I got off the phone with the vet, and she said the same thing! She also said he could have kibble for nutrition.

I can give him the chicken tomorrow, after it defrosts. I gave him some pumpkin and rice a little while ago.

The vet said to keep her posted. She mentioned medication, or an injection of something similar to Immodium.

I never thought he had so much poop/liquid in him.

Reactions: Catrinka

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Poor guy. Salmon is a fatty fish, and the new brand just may be even fattier than he is accustomed.
How come these things always happen on a weekend? Ugh.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poor guy. Salmon is a fatty fish, and the new brand just may be even fattier than he is accustomed.
How come these things always happen on a weekend? Ugh.
I thought with all the poop/liquid coming out of him over the past 36 hours, that the bad stuff would all be out of him.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is he? Are his gums normal color?
Gums are normal color.

Still has diarrhea, vomited once during the night. It’s been 5 hours since the last poop, a big difference from every hour when this started, but still too much to suit me.

He’s drinking water, but not eating. Will keep trying to feed him.

Will call the vet today with an update.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hoping Joey is feeling better today, such a sweet old man. does Joey walk around on his own? I was just curious, with my shepherds I’d give them a boost to get up and they’d take it from there and walk around a bit. Seniors just have such a special bond with us after being with us many years, hard to explain it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoping Joey is feeling better today, such a sweet old man. does Joey walk around on his own? I was just curious, with my shepherds I’d give them a boost to get up and they’d take it from there and walk around a bit. Seniors just have such a special bond with us after being with us many years, hard to explain it.
I’m going to see if the vet can give us medication for the diarrhea. We don’t want to subject him to stress by putting him in the car. His back legs went out on him last year. His front legs are amazing. I use my arms as a harness to bring him outside. He still has an amazing attitude.

Today is his half-birthday (15 1/2). I totally understand what you mean by the bond.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Happy half birthday, sweet boy!
I honestly wouldn’t keep feeding him, if he is drinking it addresses the risk of dehydration, , that gut needs rest because it’s very inflamed and pushing food into it won’t let it heal. Just what I would do.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy half birthday, sweet boy!
I honestly wouldn’t keep feeding him, if he is drinking it addresses the risk of dehydration, , that gut needs rest because it’s very inflamed and pushing food into it won’t let it heal. Just what I would do.
I have bone broth powder - should I mix that with water and give it to him?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
If a vet isn't going to be seeing Joey this weekend, I think I'd mix a bit of the bone broth powder into water to make sure he's staying hydrated and getting at least a small amount of nutrition into him. Poor old guy. It's always so much more worrisome when our seniors have issues.

·
Super Moderator
9,268 Posts
Joey's such an old fellow that I might be hesitant to fast him for an entire day. If the poop is totally liquid, I'd cook up some white rice and chicken and then stir in a tablespoon of pumpkin with that.
this!!
i don’t think many are noticing that this is a 15yr old dog.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts