German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 year old silver sable sweet girl. We have a huge yard that she runs with her 9 year old puppy boy. She always stays active and in good spirits. We have never had health issues with her except heart worms that’s shes had treatment for and her hips are a little stiff when she gets up from sitting. This morning she was found dead by her food bowl with blood coming from her mouth. We have no clue what could have happened or if there is a genetic trait that causes sudden death. If there is ANY information, I’d be happy to see anything that others know.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'm so sorry. It may have been Hemangiosarcoma - a bleeding tumor. These tumors are very difficult to diagnose. There are usually no symptoms, and they don't show up on x-rays. Typically, the dog is happy and active, then suddenly the tumor bursts and starts to bleed out. There is nothing one can do about, and death is usually quick.

Many of us on the board have lost dogs to this cancer.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I am so sorry, I can't imagine.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
So sorry for you loss.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Heartfelt condolences!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss... I would guess hemangiosarcoma as well. Very common in the breed and fast growing... you don't normally notice symptoms until it's too late. ? 11 years old is a very good age, and it sounds like she was very loved. Don't be hard on yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 11 year old silver sable sweet girl. We have a huge yard that she runs with her 9 year old puppy boy. She always stays active and in good spirits. We have never had health issues with her except heart worms that’s shes had treatment for and her hips are a little stiff when she gets up from sitting. This morning she was found dead by her food bowl with blood coming from her mouth. We have no clue what could have happened or if there is a genetic trait that causes sudden death. If there is ANY information, I’d be happy to see anything that others know.
UPDATE: I have gone back through my servalenve to see if she had struggled that night or if it was instant. I did see her stagger (off balence) into her room, that’s when I believe she passed. So we are believing it may have been a heart attack but it only affected her for maybe 5 minutes at the most.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
oh gosh, what a terrible thing to stumble into. Still, you say that she was happy and healthy right up to the end. I am glad it was too quick to worry her. Thank you for the update.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The hardest thing about loving a dog is losing them. So very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in that you gave her a good life and she knew that she was loved. Run free, sweet girl.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm terribly sorry for your loss

Our previous GSD, a male and also a silver sable, had degenerative myelopathy from about 7 and a half on. We got him to 10 and a half with hip harnesses and such. One night I gave him his usual dog biscuit after the evening 'walk. ' He ate it and about 2 minutes later fell over and died right there (I assume it reached his heart before his lungs).

The point is, I always viewed it as his last gift to me. I didn't have to confront the awful decision of eventually having to put him down. Try thinking of her death that way. It won't take away the loss, but it's a good way to remember her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts