German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya there, I have two GSD puppies, and when we brought them home, our girl Lady Luck was shy and introverted. Of course, she came out of that quickly, just like we figured!

But our other girl, Gemini has...switched, just like Lady Luck. She was our first pick, because she was so outgoing and just fearless.

For a while, she was exactly that-- loves the cats, loves to play, would chase anything, etc. But suddenly she's become timid for some reason. Our first sign that something wasn't right was that she would tuck her ears down.

They'd go down and to the side, even though her tail would still wag. Sometimes her tail doesn't wag, and both her tail and ears are down, etc. Now, we've been VERY careful to not raise our voices, let anything seem like it could possibly a threat to her, or even injure them accidentally.

Her change in attitude is sudden, and worrying. I'm not sure how GSD's express emotions in their ears, as they're our first two ever, but after dealing with other puppies it seems like a frightened tactic to me. Once you get past her sudden shy/timidness, she'll play like she usually does; loud, brash and with teeth.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm not sure how to deal with this in the GSD breed, and any help would be greatly appreciated. We just want her to feel safe and comfortable. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi, sorry I can't give any advice (no experience with this) , but I'm curious - are they littermates, and how old are they? Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hiya there, I have two GSD puppies, and when we brought them home, our girl Lady Luck was shy and introverted. Of course, she came out of that quickly, just like we figured!

But our other girl, Gemini has...switched, just like Lady Luck. She was our first pick, because she was so outgoing and just fearless.

For a while, she was exactly that-- loves the cats, loves to play, would chase anything, etc. But suddenly she's become timid for some reason. Our first sign that something wasn't right was that she would tuck her ears down.

They'd go down and to the side, even though her tail would still wag. Sometimes her tail doesn't wag, and both her tail and ears are down, etc. Now, we've been VERY careful to not raise our voices, let anything seem like it could possibly a threat to her, or even injure them accidentally.

Her change in attitude is sudden, and worrying. I'm not sure how GSD's express emotions in their ears, as they're our first two ever, but after dealing with other puppies it seems like a frightened tactic to me. Once you get past her sudden shy/timidness, she'll play like she usually does; loud, brash and with teeth.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm not sure how to deal with this in the GSD breed, and any help would be greatly appreciated. We just want her to feel safe and comfortable. Thanks guys!

I don't know all that much, but ears flat back is a sign of submission. Ours does it to almost everyone, along with tail or whole body wags. But he is not shy or timid, quite friendly. After we pet him, his ears go back up as we start to play. So it might be an invitation to play as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's what you get for calling your dog Gemini, split personality ;)
Ears down is not necessarily bad, just being submissive as above poster said. Does she seem fearful? Does her tail tuck between her legs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting guys, I really appreciate it! My very first foray into GSD's, so I wasn't sure how they express themselves through their ears. Sometimes, when I'm standing up and bend down to pet her, both ears and tail tucks, so I make sure to be extremely gentle and soft voiced. Over times, she'll run straight at me with her ears down and just lick me all over.

Guess you're right, vwitt! Should have named her better, haha! It's gonna be a joy when she's older and bigger, and I have to guess at her attitude/body language.

And Sri, they're not flat back. More like tucked to the side and down. They have ruffles in them at the corners, which isn't something I've seen before. (I can try to get a picture, but it might not work! I can hope!) But I really do appreciate you guys posting. Her sudden change surprised and worried me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts