German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to this website. I'm posting my concern here since I'm not sure if its behavior or there's some underlying issue no one can seem to find with my dog. My fiance and I have had our german shepherd for four years. We got him when he was 2 years old and was badly abused by his old owner. He's had some health issues like allergies, constant ear infections, anxiety, and issues with his leg that his old owner hurt badly. Three days ago, his behavior changed out of nowhere and for no apparent reason and we cannot figure out what triggered it. Our GSD paces non-stop, he was panting the first day constantly. He kept us awake all night the first 24 hours. He has the need to be near us all the time. I first thought maybe an earthquake or something was coming but it kept going on and on. Now sometimes he's suddenly afraid where he bolts away if we try to call him over or try and take him outside but he will still come and hang out with us. He isn't whining or seems to be in pain. He still loves going on walks and his issues are really bad only at night. It like comes in waves but he seems nervous/anxious/antsy all day long. Last night he finally slept through the night for once. i'm growing more and more concerned. He's definitely not at the same point of pacing as he was the first night but he is still acting very strange. Our dog has NEVER had this behavior before. Yes, we know he has anxiety but it has NEVER been this bad. We've taken him to the vet and have tried to get several opinions from different vets but they just say its anxiety. I'm worried for our boy and we want to fix this asap. Has anyone run into this before? We're desperate right now.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
What tests has your vet run? It does sound to me like a medical problem!

Go to a better vet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a really good vet but we moved about two months ago, so we called them up for an opinion. They didn't really know because they couldn't see him physically but thought it might be him being overly anxious. The other vet we saw in person said it was just anxiety and didn't know what else it was. (Only did a physical exam) They were going to charge us $800 for lab tests and an x-ray and thats just money we do not have right now, especially with being out of a job due to the coronavirus. We'll try to take him to another vet here shortly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We also have a 4 year old GSD that had a sudden onset of nighttime anxiety about 10 days ago. She was showing signs of separation anxiety; pacing, licking lips, panting, whining and yelping. We took her to the vet and he told us she's otherwise a very healthy dog, and gave us some mild sedatives to help take the edge off at night. It has mostly worked (so we can get some sleep finally). But, I would like to figure out why this started and how to fix this so we don't have to use meds. We give her trazodone. Vet says this is mild, safer sedative with no long term effects. Our plan is to try these for two weeks every night, and put her back in her kennel for nighttime.

I would love to hear from other owners out there with similar issues and would love to learn if there's a way to figure out how to figure out how to reduce whatever trigger is setting off this anxiety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@whiskeypup I'm so sorry your girl is experiencing this. While I was on the phone with our old vet, she did tell us there's been an influx of people bringing dogs in with really bad anxiety and anxiousness within the past 14 days and they've all been healthy dogs. She even said people have brought in their birds and cats too with the same issues! So something's gotta be going on that we don't know about but our animals do. We'll be taking our pup to another vet over the weekend so I will keep you posted on if we run into anything. The only thing we've done is give our boy some Benadryl. Our boy is over 100 pounds but we tend to only give him 20 mg since he felt it was unnecessary to give him more.

But I'd also love to know what other owners have done to help relieve his anxiety. We haven't noticed any of the usual triggers that set him off (elevated voices, yelling, ect) so we're not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
With what you described about his general temperament, combined with moving 2 months ago, my guess would be that's the problem. German Shepherds or even just herding breeds can be obsessive and since they're so aware of almost everything, taking away what they're familiar with will kind of catch up with them. I'd concentrate on creating a new routine for him. A predictable structure to remove what he isn't sure of right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@whiskeypup I'm so sorry your girl is experiencing this. While I was on the phone with our old vet, she did tell us there's been an influx of people bringing dogs in with really bad anxiety and anxiousness within the past 14 days and they've all been healthy dogs. She even said people have brought in their birds and cats too with the same issues! So something's gotta be going on that we don't know about but our animals do. We'll be taking our pup to another vet over the weekend so I will keep you posted on if we run into anything. The only thing we've done is give our boy some Benadryl. Our boy is over 100 pounds but we tend to only give him 20 mg since he felt it was unnecessary to give him more.

But I'd also love to know what other owners have done to help relieve his anxiety. We haven't noticed any of the usual triggers that set him off (elevated voices, yelling, ect) so we're not sure what is going on.
That is interesting to hear about healthy dogs and other pets showing signs of anxiety, and I do wonder if the COVID 19 pandemic is creating anxiety in the owners that our animals are sensing.

Otherwise, good luck with your dog @Rae96! I agree with another poster that the move just two months ago could have some impact. I'll post if any positive changes seem to make difference with Whiskey.

·
Registered
923 Posts
@whiskeypup that thought popped into my mind too! (They're picking up the owners' energy). But due to this situation I actually have time to exercise my dog almost twice as usual. Now he's dead as a duck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@McGloomy I thought his stress from moving would have happened a while ago but a big possibility! He's gone out for two walks a day and doesn't seem to get super tired even with one hour walks. We both regularly check him for ticks or other stuff on him and haven't noticed anything.

@whiskeypup I think they might sense something? who knows exactly. Just this sudden change in behavior worries me. Hopefully when we go to the other vet, something might show up. We gave him a puppuccino, which seems to perk up his mood; that seemed to help at least a little bit. But i'll keep you posted as well!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hope it's nothing serious! But as I said before, he needs to do something where he could run. Just an opinion...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts