German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey turned 13 on Thanksgiving Day. Had no problems during the day. As he was going outside to do his nighttime business, he seemed wobbly. Had trouble going upstairs. We went to our PA house the next day; the limping got worse. We made him rest until we came back home today. His walking improved some.

His vet checked him out today. Nothing broken or torn. Prescribed Metacam and lots of rest.

She mentioned possible causes (sprain, spinal, arthritis, and the dreaded DM word), but was not overly concerned since he appears to be improving instead of getting worse. If he does get worse, she will take X-rays.

Anyone have this happen to their GSD?

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
My first gsd had bad arthritis. He was what you described. There are medications the vet can give to make them more comfortable. I had seen adequin work wonders In some dogs. I hope you get some answers soon so you can make him more comfortable.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just started him on glucosamine & condroitin. Will keep the CBD oil in mind.

Will have him sleep on the first floor for at least the next week, to see his progress.

He’s always been a strong boy. Praying it’s either a sprain or arthritis. My husband asked me what DM is. I said, you don’t want to know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He seems to be getting better. Will keep him on the first floor for a few more days before trying the stairs.

Will ask the vet how long he can stay on the Metacam.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on Joey: he is still taking the Metacam. He continues to have good bloodwork. Back legs are wobbly at times. Walking helps. We now sleep on the first floor. He can get into the car with my husband’s help. He is still puppy-like in his behavior.

At his last vet visit, his doctor suggested Adequan.

We are seriously considering this. He will be 14 next month, and would love to help him as much as possible.

Can I ask about your experiences with Adequan?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Update on Joey: he is still taking the Metacam. He continues to have good bloodwork. Back legs are wobbly at times. Walking helps. We now sleep on the first floor. He can get into the car with my husband’s help. He is still puppy-like in his behavior.

At his last vet visit, his doctor suggested Adequan.

We are seriously considering this. He will be 14 next month, and would love to help him as much as possible.

Can I ask about your experiences with Adequan?
Duke was on that I think. It helped for about six months. Eventually the Arthritis took over in my case. Wishing you the best results.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We started him on the Adequan regimen last week. While part of me has high hopes that his limping will improve and he’ll get into the car easier, the other (realistic) part of me just hopes for him to be more comfortable. Time will tell.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Five shots down, three to go.

He still has a slight limp, but his demeanor is like that of a puppy and his eyes seem brighter. Thinking he’s not in as much pain.

Will be interested in seeing what happens after the final shot.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joey has finished the Adequan treatments, and will go for periodic boosters.

Slight improvement in the back legs, but there’s more of a spark in his eyes (hopefully he’s in less pain).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts