German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning Kairo and I wake up and go outside for our normal 10-15 minutes of exercise before I start work (I work from home). After Kai's cool-down period, I put his food down, which we always do a sit or down with a stay, then an "ok" when I release him to begin eating, all of which he did. Then as I began working, I noticed he was laying by the front door, which is not usual at all, but he hadn't finished eating. In fact, he didn't eat much at all, which has never happened before. He's always been an aggressive eater, to the point, I put Kai on a slow-feeder bowl 2weeks ago or so, which has helped tremendously.

So I sat in the floor by his bowl and began to hand feed him, and he eventually laid down beside me and continued to eat from my hand til the food was gone. Throughout the day, I didn't see any noticeable change in his energy level or behavior, and we did our normal outdoor play time on my lunch break and training after work. Fed him at dinner time, and he ate but not all of it at once like normal, but he ate from his bowl though, and by the time we went to bed, most of the food was gone. I don't really free-feed because he always eats everything in the morning and evening usually.

Now again, this morning, he has not really eaten much, maybe a few bites. Otherwise, he is acting completely normal and shows no signs of stress, discomfort, or change in personality. Kairo is 7.5 months, and always high energy, and the energy is still there today, despite not eating much this AM. Thoughts as to what might be going here? TIA!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Teething is one thing that will affect appetite....I'm guessing his adult teeth are in ?.....next thing that comes to my mind would be intact males are starting to reach sexual maturity at his age....I've had some not affected at all as far as eating---others that would prefer to be out roaming around....so to speak ...:grin2:..and at times lost a little interest in eating

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Welcome to my life, haha. Mine started 'not eating' when he was around 9-10 months old, when the summer started to kick in. He had ALWAYS been CRAZY about his food, never left food in the bowl, I had to buy him a slow feed bowl,always finished it in 1 seating, and suddenly... Not interested. Nothing. Nada. After the advice of some friends and the good people of this forum, I tried not feeding him for 3 days. He finally gave in on the 3rd day, but only finished 1/3 of his daily portion served in regular bowl. Was he ill? Nope, took him to the vet and he was totally fine. I did change the kibble brand after that, it worked, he started eating BETTER, but not like before (I have been staying with that brand ever since, can't risk to keep changing his diet).

So how do you know if he's ill or if it's a psychological thing?

If he still eats treats eagerly, or any food you give that brings excitement in him, he's good and healthy. If he is NOT interested in treats at all even after you make it interesting... I'd start worrying bout his health. I would not feed him for 3 days and check if on the 3rd he still wants to eat ANYTHING at all. If not, vet time.

The heat is probably doing it to him too. Ever since I bought an AC a week ago, I noticed his appetite is upped a little bit.

So, try to figure out what causes him to not eat; health or psychological. And then takr the steps from there.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Hard to know what's wrong...I would watch carefully when he pees to see if there is blood in his urine, or if the urine is cloudy. That would be one thing you could possibly figure out yourself without a vet trip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys! I decided to run Kairo up to our vet just to be safe, as he has been scratching at his ears infrequently, but enough that when coupled with the appetite loss, I wanted to get him checked out. Turns out his ear canals are inflamed, and the vet said the irritation could cause him to not to want to eat because of the discomfort felt in the ear canal when chewing. Could be due to allergies possibly. She put him on Aproquel, which Kai will take twice a day for 2 weeks. My brief research of Aproquel indicates it often works in as little as two days. She also prescribed Tresaderm drops to administer twice a day.

Another thing the vet said, which I had read on these forums before, is to elevate Kairo's food bowl so that he doesn't have to stretch his neck as far to reach down for his food, thereby not putting as much pressure on the ear canal when chewing/swallowing. Should have been doing this already, but started when we got home. The last thing the vet suggested was to moisten the kibble so Kairo doesn't have to chew as hard, so when we got home I moistened the food and elevated his bowl, and Kai ate every last morsel.

Hopefully his ears clear up quickly. Kairo hates going to the vet, so it's always an adventure, but he is home now, and all he really wants to do is just chase his ball, so he is happy once again...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great call on making the trip to the vet! And even though it turns out there's sthing wrong physically, it's good to know that it's not psychological and that the vet is treating it well. I don't know much about elevated bowls. But making his food mushy to ease his ear pain sounds very logical. Hope he gets better soon and be back with his appetite in no time!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great call on making the trip to the vet! And even though it turns out there's sthing wrong physically, it's good to know that it's not psychological and that the vet is treating it well. I don't know much about elevated bowls. But making his food mushy to ease his ear pain sounds very logical. Hope he gets better soon and be back with his appetite in no time!
Thanks McGloomy. I didn't want to take any chances and would rather try to catch something early if possible, before it could develop into something bigger. So far, the mushy and elevation are working. Getting the ear drops in has been difficult however. He has always hated having his ears messed with, but we're managing.

Reactions: Sunsilver
1 - 7 of 7 Posts