German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I watched Malachi do something yesterday that I have never seen an 'adult' dog do before in my life...I'd love opinions on this-esp what it could mean psychologically. I wish I could have taken a pic, but I'm sure he'll do it again.

A pillow from my bed had fallen onto the floor in my bedroom. When we came in from our walk, Malachi ran over to it and laid down with it. He proceeded to take a portion of it gently in his mouth (not chewing/being rough/destructive) he just held it in his mouth. His front paws were out in front of him resting on another part of the pillow. I watched as his front paws made a 'kneading/suckling' motion. This went on for 20min or more. He just lay there, content and quiet, seemingly 'suckling' my pillow. It was all at the same time the sweetest and saddest thing..I'm guessing he was weaned from his mother WAY too early??

I had a cat that I rescued from the local shelter years ago. He did this similar thing on ALL my pillows/blankets in the house until the day he died at 11yo. He would just purrr and then leave little wet spots on all my pillows lol. The vet said it was bc he was taken from his mother too soon. It was a comfort thing.

Has anyone else ever seen a DOG do this?? I was shocked! And please correct me if my line of thinking is way off on this..

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think you are right about it. The dog was probably taken away from the mother too young. I bet he's glad to have you now.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I think it's just a calming method...relaxing. There are some members on the board that talked about their dogs doing it. Rusty has not done it for a long time but I saw him sucking on the corner of a pillow when he was falling asleep.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it IS very cute. he was doing it again today. he looks so serene and peaceful and content...my BIG BIG baby :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's not that uncommon. A lot of Dobermans are suckers. Just make sure it doesn't lead to accidently ingesting the things that are being sucked on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he doesn't appear to actually be 'sucking' on anything. the two times I have watched him do it, he just holds the blanket/pillow in his mouth. His paws make the 'kneading' motion, but his mouth is still. no sucking as far as I can tell-just gentle 'holding'. :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
My first GSD - Reno, used to suckle on the ears of white stuffed animals. I brought her home as a pup with a chew bunny, so every night she would grab her bunny and suckle its tail or ears until she fell asleep. It was adorable. Bunny between her paws until she would fall asleep.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reno, did she ever grow out of it?..Not that I mind..it's so endearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts