German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Every time I look at him I think about how lucky we are to live in a time when a treatment like this is possible. I will be eternally grateful to the vet who enabled this. Hopefully humans will be allowed to benefit from stem cell treatment one day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this thread.

Haven't read everything here, but I wanted to post an article on a recent study in July. It showed that dextramethorphan, the main ingredient in cough medicine, had a beneficial effect on myelin.

Researchers wonder, therefor, if dextramethorphan might help MS patients. As both DM and MS involve a breakdown in myelin, I've had my dog on a daily dose of cough medicine. My vet, after reading the study, recommended the dosage based on body weight. I use the OTC brands and formulations that don't have other cold ingredients in them.

Link to article:

Component of common cough medicine may help treat multiple sclerosis - UC Davis Health System Newsroom

ara

Can you tell us what brand cough medicine you are using and the dosage (what weight is your dog)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Can you let me know what cough medicine you are using and how much your dog weighs. Hans is 84lbs. I would like to start him on it asap.
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Need information on DM stem cell therapy

I joined this board years ago, but haven't been here for a very long time. I have a female GSD long coat rescue named Shelby that I adopted 3 1/2 years ago and to make a long story short, she was diagnosed with DM in January 2011. She has been on the Dr. Clemmons' protocol since then. She has also been given acupuncture, laser therapy, physical therapy and stem cell therapy, as well as a natural raw diet. The stem cell therapy was done through Renovoctye lab. THe stem cells were harvested from a couple punch biopsies of the shoulder/neck region. Shelby had two treatments thus far. Her second treatment was about 6 weeks ago and I've not seen anything remarkable. She is continuing to decline.

A poster from the PDB told me about someone on this board (RebelGSD) who has a dog named Riley with DM that was treated with stem cell therapy, with encouraging results. I went through the thread and found that Riley was treated with cells harvested from bone marrow. I also found the link to the stem cell lab and the website states that they are not accepting any more applicants. If anyone has anymore info on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have lots of questions!

I will do anything possible to help my sweet girl. She is still holding her own, but is deteriorating before my eyes. I am still holding out hope that there is something that can help her.

I would PM or email Riley's owner, but haven't figured out this board yet!

PLease forgive me for not knowing how to navigate this board very well! I actually thought I was replying to the original DM thread, but was confused by the fact that I needed a title!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
They may not be accepting dogs for the trial any longer, but I believe you can still get the treatment if you pay for the stem cells. The stem cells are bone marrow stem cells.
The lab that did it for us was Regenavetlabs. They would ship the stem cells to a vet who administers them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you so much for the information. Is Riley continuing to improve? Did the stems cells come from a donor or from Riley?
Thank you,
Char

·
Registered
18 Posts
Regarding the Dextramethorphan, are you seeing any improvement? Also, how is the doasage calculated? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Char

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Riley is doing amazingly well for a 12yo. We fetch every day, even in this brutal cold, he seems to be in his element. He does have some arthritis too.

The stem cells are donor stem cells. They tried with the dog's own stem cells in the early stages of the research, however, it turned out that the DM dogs did not produce enough stem cells for the treatment. These are bone marrow stem cells, not those from fat.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
They do the matching of blood type with the donor. Riley was a blood donor for many years, so we knew his blood type.
Before they start the IV with the stem cells, the dog receives a prednisone injection. The day before the treatment, the dog is started on cyclosporine (immunosuppressant) and remains on it for one week. Riley spent around 3 hours at the vet for the IV. He was evaluated for his general health before the treatment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
RileyGSD, I called and emailed Regenavet early yesterday, but they have not gotten back to me. Did you find that it took them a while to return your calls and/or emails?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I heard from people that it takes a while for them to get back to people as Dr. Vuilliet tends to travel a lot. I suggest being persistent and re-sending an email until you hear back. The do respond eventually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you RebelGSD. They called today and I spoke to them for quite a while. I am taking Shelby to the vet tomorrow to discuss whether or not to move foreward with this. It's another $2,400 after already spending $2000 at Renovocyte. If there was a guarantee it would work, I wouldn't give it second thought.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Riley, at 12.5, continues to do well and does the best to chase his ball.
Bumping up this thread in case someone is interested in DM treatment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks alot Rebel for bringing this up on this forum, I have been strongly considering this option for sometime in the very near future.

I am located in Los Angeles and have been directly in contact with a doctor at medivet.

Can you please send me more info regarding this? Also if you can include how much you paid for the whole procedure i would really appreciate it.

Thanks and keep us updated on your dog, it is very good news, congrats!!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Riley's treatment was done by ReGenaVetLabs. We were in a trial and the stem cells were free. I paid around $300-400 per round for the medication (atopica) and administration. The administration cost can very depending on how expensive the local vet is. Mine was pretty expensive.

Doing treatment earlier is better, before there is extensive damage.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts