Discussion Starter #1
Gait before treatment

Entering the car - before treatment
Neuro exam before treatment
Three months later, two days after third treatment

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
That is great that Riley is doing so good. Thanks for the video's, they are very helpful and educational.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
So good to see that Riley is doing so well. :)

Have to say, watching the first couple videos made me cry. Brought back memories of my Alexi who had DM.

Love the last video of Riley having a good time!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being able to demonstrate such dramatic improvement with stem cell therapy also has huge implications for humans with neurological disease and spinal cord injuries.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet, this treatment is very experimental. Two GSDs were treated up to date (Riley being one of them). The other GSD showed dramatic improvement as well after 4 treatments. His disease was more advanced.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
I have great hopes for stem cell therapy. This is wonderful news!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That was amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Is there a place where people can get more information?
Yep, yep....please?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It's nothing short of a miracle. I lost Tasha, my first GSD, to DM and am almost in tears that there may finally be something on the horizon that will spare dogs and their owners from the heartbreak of this debilitating disease.

Thanks for posting this!!!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's nothing short of a miracle. I lost Tasha, my first GSD, to DM and am almost in tears that there may finally be something on the horizon that will spare dogs and their owners from the heartbreak of this debilitating disease.

Thanks for posting this!!!
I agree, I am in awe myself, seeing a dog that was falling down the stairs jumping into a pretty high truck. I have seen the video of a mouse improving, but this is a big animal. And thinking of the hope the treatment offers many animals and humans - it is simply humbling. I am sure everybody who lost a dog to DM (i did) will understand.

This is so new that it has not been published anywhere yet (I just made the movie last week). There is another GSD who is a similar amazing success story (I have his movie), but that 's it. I am hoping that these successes will help raising funds to broaden the research.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Was that VetStem, or another place? Where were the stem cells injected?

Three years ago we treated our German Shepherd Boris with VetStem stem cell therapy for arthritis in both hips and one knee. It worked great! I was very impressed. Unfortunately Boris passed away five months later from hemangiosarcoma. But I like reading about the stem cell therapies, just in case for another dog.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is not vetstem. It is university research. I will ask for permission to name the institution. These are bone marrow stem cells. The Stem cells were injected IV, so that part is relatively easy.
Sorry to hear about Boris, I lost two to hemangiosarcoma.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Amazing.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!! I lost my Alice to progressive neurological issues (she had also been hit by a car so never knew for sure if it was the car or DM)

I know it is being done in horses - I have friends who are equine vets, and they did this a few months ago on a horse and the horse showed dramatic improvement...not a university - but a fairly sophisticated equine clinic (they do some work on dogs as well) - about 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh PA

Lee

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is even more amazing is that Riley showed significant improvement after two weeks (after the first) treatment. We expected noticeable improvement after 4 treatments and they showed after two treatments. The other GSD remained stable for 18 months after treatment. I think that this will work for injuries as well, the treatment is certainly not limitedbto DM.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone has a dog with DM an is interested in pursuing stem cell treatment, please PM me and I can provide contact information.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow. That is just amazing! the first video brought tears to my eyes because he moved the way i once saw a coyote move after being hit by a car in front of me. And to see, what is such a dramatic improvement.... that is just wow.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is the best news I've seen in a long while. My previous dog became very crippled from DM, and I just barely kept him hobbling for a year and a half with the two medicines that Dr. Clemmens recommends, but he got progressively worse despite the medicines.

Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts