German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 1 year 1 month old German Shepherd named Ezra. For some reason he has had this submissive urination problem since we adopted him about six months ago. We have done everything that everyone has told us, not greeting him at the door until he calms down, not frowning at him, petting him under his chin, rewarding good behavior with treats etc. But nothing has changed.

He plays with our Dogo Argentino just fine, but with all people he just lays down and pees in huge puddles all over himself every time someone touches him. Even if he comes up to us to play with us while we play with our dogo, he still pees. The same with children as well.
Ezra also constantly will come up to me and smack me with his paw, and, how do I explain this... he lays his head on me and lifts it up and puts it down over and over like he’s patting me quickly with his chin, then he will shove me with his nose. I thought it might mean he had to go potty, so I would take him out but I was wrong. Also tried to pet him and again, peeing.

Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Have you tried taking him to some obedience classes? He sounds as though he lacks confidence and always questioning if he is doing correct by you. A class will help him be successful and to build his confidence in himself. I have a 20 month old that I thought had stopped this, but just peed again the other day. I can see it coming in her behavior, she starts to escalate to it, I am usually pretty good at interrupting the current behavior and getting her outside. I usually just leave it at that, dont make a big deal about it. I avoid situations that trigger the submissive peeing, she will eventually outgrow it.
The head nudging you is trying to engage you in something, whether it is a toy or going outside to play or for petting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts