German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my 12 week GSD puppy just had I think his first submissive urination? Everyone thought him to be a really outgoing and powerful little puppy but two men (not a big physique) came over to fix our cable today and he ran up to them joyfully and peed. I just took him out to pee less than an hour ago too and he didn't drink a whole lot either.

This is his first time doing this and my roommate and I are both really surprised! Is this a one time thing?

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
Sounds like excited urination. Don't make a big deal of it and he should grow out of it. You and your roommate are both women? I wonder if he was raised by a guy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My little girl does it pretty regularly (although it is subsiding). Both the vet and a breeder said that it is not uncommon for GSD puppies. My GSD is over 4 months old now and it is less than half as bad as it used to be.

Hi,
my 12 week GSD puppy just had I think his first submissive urination? Everyone thought him to be a really outgoing and powerful little puppy but two men (not a big physique) came over to fix our cable today and he ran up to them joyfully and peed. I just took him out to pee less than an hour ago too and he didn't drink a whole lot either.

This is his first time doing this and my roommate and I are both really surprised! Is this a one time thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some dogs do that, and it's no big deal. My lab mix did it for almost a year every time we came home. We learned to not pet him until about ten minutes after we came home and he had calmed down. And he was a messy pee-er! :D

My GSD female does it to my husband when he comes home, and she does it to my older dog when he's annoyed with her, lol. Your dog will grow out of it. Don't correct it, it isn't like an actual accident, and you could make it worse by correcting it. He probably doesn't even realize what he's doing. Just have people wait to pet him until after he's calmed down and not so excited.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like excited urination. Don't make a big deal of it and he should grow out of it. You and your roommate are both women? I wonder if he was raised by a guy.
The breeder was a female too. :confused:

He hasn't peed in front of other guests though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It should go away. Just keep socializing with men and have people greet your dog outside in the grass or somewhere safe :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
agreed, mine did it till a year old. Everyone said it was submissive, she has never ran away or backed down once in protection training. Simply put, it was not submissive, just really annoying. Work on preventing her from running up to people, she can greet when she is completely calm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts