German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a **** of a stressful month.

This dog of mine has developed a submissive urination problem that I've been dealing with slowly by the the whole ignoring thing and it works pretty well for the most part.
He's four months old now.

The problem is, Now when he wants to go outside to go urinate he gets my attention so I get up and go to pick him up as I always have and now he just starts peeing the second I do it!
It's not in a particular spot or anything, It's just where ever he's standing at the time. I use a wash to get rid of the smell of urine and it's hardwood floors.

I've tried ignoring it, I've tried calmly saying 'no', I've tried discipline. nothing works. I don't understand why he's just doing this all of a sudden, He was like 95% house broken a month ago, Now he's like 50% if that!

He can hold his bowels all night long (8 hours or so) without being in a crate and he does not urinate or defecate all night, But once he wants to go out now the second I go to bend over he's just releasing urine. He's downstairs with me and so I have to pick him up to bring him up the flight of stairs so It's not like I can avoid it.

SO fed up, This has been the only problem I've had with my puppy. I'm almost at the end of my rope and just giving him up for adoption. I don't feel like cleaning up urine 3-4 times daily,
And not just a dribble, It's a full blown go.

I can put up with stuff chewed up, I can put up with anything else! JUST NO MORE URINATION!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Maybe you are making him wait too long. It is hot in my area, so my dog drinks more now. He is let out a 3 to 4 times during the day to urinate and defecate. He might not always go, but I let him out anyways. You also might not want to rule out it may be something medical. Maybe call your vet and talk to them and see what they say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.

An hour an a half he did it today prior to being out. As a young little pup he was able to hold it no problem for 2 hours or so.

He's been drinking more lately as well, But this urinating as I go to pick him up thing has just started like two days ago. After 5-10 minutes of being around him he would come up to me with his ears up and confident, then let me know that he wanted to go out.

Now he just runs up, Let's me know and the second I go to pick him up he begins. It's not even big puddles or anything, He's just doing it.

Medical perhaps, But I'm going to rule that out for now.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Can you teach him to walk the flight of steps on his own? That is one of the first things I did was help Jonas with steps. If you are worried that he will fall, use the leash as he is walking and let him know you wont let him fall. As you slowly walk up or down the steps, keep tension on the leash. After a few days of doing this, he will become a pro, and leash will not be needed. The reason I say this is.... all dogs do not like being picked up. It might be a fear urination.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He knows how to walk up them already, My breeder just told me to carry him up the stairs till 6 months old...

He would be completely fine If I could just let him up on his own but I just worry about his hips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to start letting him go up on his own when the times comes to go to the bathroom and see how he does. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dog peed every time a female touched home for months (with the exception of me). He's 8 months now and doesn't do that anymore. Your pup may out grow it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hope the not carrying helps. Is it common for breeders to recommend this? My boy was 63 lbs. at six months. I can't imagine having to carry him up stairs!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the dog needs to walk up and down the stairs by himself.

does your dog come from a background of good hips, with a pedigree depth , which also looked at littermate results?

does your dog have a guarantee , and what does it state.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
There are certain circles that don't believe in letting puppies walk down stairs on their own because if they were to lose control they could potentially cause wrist damage attempting to break their falls on the way down. It's a legitimate concern, but only till about 11-12 weeks old and at that point they're usually strong enough to handle it on their own.

Before that point or even after if you are still concerned just leash the dog when you walk him down the stairs. You can keep him from going down too fast or falling with the leash. You don't need to pick him up. I would hate having to carry a dog down till it was 6 months, some of them are 50 pounds by that age.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey

Well no accidents since I've started letting him up the stairs on his own!

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully he continues to be a good boy.

:)

@ Carmspack, I have all the papers and what-not, His fathers hips were classified as 'fair' with elbows as 'normal', mother with 'good' and 'normal'.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Good that its working. Just know discipline or raising you voice at something like this will only make it worse. Even though its frustersting as heck. I know my rescue GSD used to do it anytime I got mad at anything the tv dropping something if I walked towards him he would pee I would try to tell him he's not in trouble and he would go to the kitchen I would clean up his pee then go in the kitchen to throw stuff away and he would pee again. He used to pee the second he heard me coming up the stairs from work I could see him from crack under the door and he would just start peeing. It is beyond frustrating, but don't give up even if he starts it again. My boy has turned out amazingly and I am glad we worked through it and have such a strong bond now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts