German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia has recently started urinating whenever she meets someone new or someone she doesn't know very well. She's 7 months.

When out on walks and she's on the leash we have stopped her jumping behavior, but now she has started laying down on her back and flailing in front of someone new. How can I go about correcting this? It's a reasonably new behavior.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Ignore the behavior. Give her something she is allowed to do, like sit. If she flops over, ask the person not to interact, wait for her to get up, ask for the "sit" and give her a treat. She wanted to greet them by jumping, which us bad, so you put a stop to it, but now she does not know what to do, is trying to be a good girl, so she is showing submission. Don't correct it, don't make a big deal of it. Just teach her want you want. Most pups outgrow this stage.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Mia has recently started urinating whenever she meets someone new or someone she doesn't know very well. She's 7 months.

When out on walks and she's on the leash we have stopped her jumping behavior, but now she has started laying down on her back and flailing in front of someone new. How can I go about correcting this? It's a reasonably new behavior.

The submissive peeing dogs I have had, all started it when they were little, not older. Have you had her checked for a UTI?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, she has a vet appoint coming up very soon, though. I'll have them check for it.

She's always had issues with peeing, though, like she doesn't exactly know when she needs to go. Especially while playing. But this one behavior just recently started.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
One old trick to help with submissive urination is that if you are talking to her, do not touch her. If you are touching her, don't talk to her. Seems like the double stimuli sets off their little bladders! Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts