German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenNILIF is so helpful.

I'd be curious why NILIF is helpful in a fearful dog? I find it would rather confuse him more, since he finds himself punished all the time for basically nothing. I believe it's helpful for pushy dogs, but rather harmful in fearful dogs. JMO though.
I use NILIF with all of my new dogs and especially rescues or dogs who have low confidence. Although it sounds like boot camp and is used for dogs who need to learn their place in the pack, it is NOT punishment. It is about consistency and boundaries. Dogs who are lacking in confidence crave consistency and boundaries. It helps tremendously in building confidence. I think of NILIF as a reward based program. Dogs does something, gets rewarded. Pretty soon they are feeling a lot better about themselves because they learn they that can only do everything right and not wrong! The 4 dogs I've adopted have all had confidence issues and all have thrived on NILIF. I am a fair and consistent leader, they know exactly what is expected of them and they feel more secure overall!

TTouch is great and you should also check out the anxiety wrap.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My Basu was abused. He rolled over and showed his belly for everything--every command, the sight of his leash, any move towards him, etc. We just ignored all of that. If he hid, we ignored him. We also ignored undesirable behaviors. If he did something like humping the other dogs or putting paws on the counter we just gently removed him. I worked very hard to keep my own energy very neutral around him so he wouldn't get anxious about my intentions. We rewarded good behaviors and were huge treat dispensers. I always had treats on me and rewarded even the tiniest steps that he made in confidence building.

For the first 6 months I made up new commands for him because he had such negative associations with the old ones.

I wonder if you could try some shaping exercises with him? Check this out:

Here are a two good exercises to try:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/546

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.