German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did your puppy stop submissive peeing?. My pup still does it at eight and a half months old, mainly because people ignore my advice of ignoring him when they first come in and to stop leaning over him. People like this are ruining my training!! :mad:.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My boy is 16 months now. He stoped happy peeing around year old, but even now when his special friend stop by sometimes he will do it just a little. But like you sad ignoring works if people just lisen !!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boy is 16 months now. He stoped happy peeing around year old, but even now when his special friend stop by sometimes he will do it just a little. But like you sad ignoring works if people just lisen !!!!

Thanks for replying. I don't think it helps that my oh gets mad if Charlie sprinkles, which makes it worse. We ended up in a massive argument about it last night as i feel he is being mean to my pup :(.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Hans only recently recently stopped. Click on the last link in my post to see his age :wild:

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Please have your OH read before the forum on this subject. This is something involuntary, and scolding will only scare the dog for no reason.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh please i think my husband is meen to our boy too. And he thinks i'm too soft. Anyway we have arguments too. But i think it's not really helping gets upset about happy peeing, just wait it up and get him outside to meet whoever is comming.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please have your OH read before the forum on this subject. This is something involuntary, and scolding will only scare the dog for no reason.

I know, it's so horrible. He can't help it, and he is getting better at not peeing.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Did you have him checked out medically?

Before meeting anyone, take the dog to urinate. Less likely to occur when the bladder is empty or nearly so.
If others ignore you, back up on your training, and only have him meet those that will ignore/wait before giving low stress attention to the dog. Set the dog up for success - each time you let it happen, it makes it harder for next time. Getting angry or upset is going to prolong this issue even further...

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Yes - the set up for success helps a ton - leash him to you so that people have to get through you to get to the dog, and then body block them as needed.
Brilliant! I body block my dog at times, and didn't ever think about body blocking people-- this is fantastic! :wild:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes! And it helps handlers get some assertiveness for themselves too if they need it. So it's a win-win. :) Some people try to dart around you, just just have to be fast, think basketball guarding.

I need to sometimes, I swear him and his friends are a bit dim. I remind them with a phone call just before they come home, but they still can't ignore Charlie. I do body block a lot because they just don't get it, lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would giving him peanut butter in his kong before someone turns up help??. I've noticed he pays no attention to people if they arrive while he is eating any of his meals.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
You can certainly try.

I do not let guests approach my dog. They're instructed to come in and ignore him.
If I think they might be the type that won't listen, I crate the dog in another room while the guests are at my home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts