German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is now a year old and is still having problems with this. I'm practicing all the things i've been told such as ignoring, not looking at him ect. The thing is how long am i supposed to ignore my dog?. It's very difficult and my friends are listening to my requests for about a week then forgetting what i told them. It's getting to a point where i can't even call my dog to me, even with treats without an accident. I have shouted at him before, which didn't help. This is because my oh wants to get rid of him and it's frustrating to see my dog doing this all the time.

Tips please. I'm desperate!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you looked into any medical causes for this? Discussed it with your vet? ..When you say 'submissive peeing' what do you mean? Is he cowering when coming towards you and urinating? ..please explain the circumstance under which he's peeing..

·
Registered
91 Posts
My friend has a Pitt Bull that took a year and a half before outgrowing this, so I wouldn't worry.

My Odin at 11 months is cured for the most part, but if he sees someone that he hasn't seen in a while, he still has accidents.

Also, a submissive dog means less liability, so it's not all bad.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ask, because there is 'excited' peeing and there is 'submissive' peeing...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Assuming there's no medical reason...
Our dog submissive peed as well. If anyone pet him, called him, sometimes when he was eating and sometimes when you looked him in the eye he'd start going off. It took at least a year and sometimes he's still a little weird about it.
What worked for us was not looking him in the eye since this is intimidating, always pet below the head (belly or chest), go down to his level instead of towering over top. All of these can help from you being seen as the "ultimate" boss.
Play tug of war and and let him/her win to slowly build his/her confidence. This helped a lot for us.
When the confidence is a little better call the dog to you, and yes there could be a pee trail to you but just pet the chest, clean it later.
For family and friends with us, we have two dogs and we told them just come in and ignore the dogs. No eye contact, no petting, don't talk to them.
Never stop petting, just accept that until the confidence is better that's what's going to happen. Paper towels and lysol wipes are a good investment.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I got my dog from an abusive home he did submissive pee for awhile then when I would come home I could see him under the crack from the door and he would pee before I would even get up the stairs. I would just walk in the door and pretend like he's not there until he stopped shaking and came to me. Then I got him over that then he would shut down during obedience or trick training almost as soon as I started he would shut down hide and shake like crazy and if you walked to him he would pee if you called him he would come slow, but pee on his way over to me when he shut down I quit calling him I would just go do something else and wait for him to come to me. You will just have to remind your friend over and over and just keep ignoring him. My boy was 3 when he was doing it now he hasn't done it in 6 months or more he doesn't hide anymore or shake. It takes a ton of time and patience for sure and let me be the first to say yelling at them only makes it worse not better.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If you are touching him, don't talk to him. If you are talking to him, don't touch him. Quite often the double stimulus (stimuli?) can trigger the squirts. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had a dog that would get excited and pee when we came home so we used to not say a word walk right out the back door and greet him outside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts