German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old GSD does turn on his back and isn't really scared of it but when he does in front of me, I of course want to rub his belly and play with him. But whenever he is on his back he is always trying to nip at my hands when I rub his belly. Does that mean he thinks he is alpha or am I? Also when it's feeding time he will sit down but will loudly bark and jump up if I dont get the food fast enough how do I correct that? I've tried just standing there with the bowl in my hand for 10 minutes and he just barks for 10 minutes demanding for the food. He gets fed twice a day a total of 2 1/2 cups

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The bite your hands during belly rubs is likely just land shark of the puppy. They like to try their teeth out on any and everything. Barking for food. You have taught him bark and you get food. Be patient, tell him quiet, and wait until he is quiet to put the food down. If still barking after 10 minutes, put food in fridge or on counter and walk away. Wait for him to be quiet, then give him the food. You have to ignore the barking. Good luck and be patient

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The fact that you are asking the forum if youre alpha means you are not. Its in your head if youre alpha, the dog cant decide. Youre gona get bit lots, but if my pup clamped down I corrected via a quick caging, like within 5 seconds of the bite. Dont worry about the alpha thing, just do lots of research and questions and do as told(from experienced people, not me), dont make it up on the fly. The barking at you for food? You probably give in when that happens so if it works why wouldnt the dog do that. Standing with the bowl is causing frustration, which coincidentally makes puppies bark. - Imagine driving and the guy in front of you stops on an open road for 10 minutes and you dont know why? Youd be barking also. And if he moved when you yelled out your window ten minutes then the next time that happened youd yell out your window first, and then become extra frustrated when that didnt work.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Also when it's feeding time he will sit down but will loudly bark and jump up if I dont get the food fast enough how do I correct that? I've tried just standing there with the bowl in my hand for 10 minutes and he just barks for 10 minutes demanding for the food. He gets fed twice a day a total of 2 1/2 cups
10 minutes to a puppy is an eternity. Hold the dish and the second he stops barking praise him and give him his food. Go a little longer each day but I'm talking the different between 5 and 15 seconds, not minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts