German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha like three months ago I wouldn't even have really considered myself a dog person and I just got my first puppy, he's a shepherd/beagle mix. one of the best decisions of my life hands down.

anyways, my topic is about subliminal and off beat training tips. I'm a new dog owner, so I'm reading reading reading... the way dogs think is fascinating. I'm hoping for some professional opinions and tricks. from the get go, the first time I saw him he was three hours old, fresh out of the womb, and I visited him every other day or so so he'd know me before he could even see, smell etc (which he absolutely did). Ever since he opened his eye I have never broken eye contact I always expect him to. here's an example of "subliminal" training, as far as "being the alpha of the pack".

another thjng I read, and this was more "off beat" was that you should never call a puppy over and yell at them because they'll learn to not always come to you if your angry, (and since I want 100% obedience) I only call him when happy or neutral, if I'm angry I go to him to scold him.

You could easily write a 500 page book on this topic, but I'm just trying to pick up a few here's and there's as I go along.

I have quite a few freinds with dogs, and while they are well behaved and trained, they are not at the level I want my puppy to be so I am putting all effort into learning ad much ad I can, because whether I like it or not, I'm "stuck" with imthis guy for at least fifteen years, and the way I'm feeding him, probably longer.

also, are shepherds/beagles good pointer dogs? I don't plan on training him to do hunting stuff until he's at least a year, but are there any games door things I can teach him to "warm him up" for being a pointer dog?

thanks a lot guys,
Soaren

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete.
Neither shepherds nor beagles are pointers but they are known for good nose work. So I suggest you train for that.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Pointing is a strongly instinct-driven behavior. A natural pointer will exhibit a strong behavior with minimal training. You can train a regular dog to point at things, but it's never going to make a great bird dog or win pointer field trials, any more than a dog with zero herding instinct is going to make a great working sheepdog.

If you're looking for puppy books I'd suggest Patricia McConnell's The Puppy Primer and Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson's My Smart Puppy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
McConnell has another great book. It's sitting on the shelf at my parents- my mom is borrowing it. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called. It deals a lot with reading the dogs body language and understanding what to do more so than training per se

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts