German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long list but here are some of my favorites ...

Young couple laying out a blanket on the ground and opening up a picnic basket in the middle of the dog park. We just stood there and laughed while our dogs tried to 'join' the picnic. At least the couple had the good sense to laugh at themselves as they were leaving.

An older couple with the young daughter, all dressed like they just came from church (Mom had on WHITE pants), walking into the dog park with their small dog. Mind you - this is a park with a POND! I turned away when a large Lab went running over towards them with his ball (covered in mud and slime from the pond).

Father and his son playing catch with a football INSIDE the dog park. When the kid missed the ball there were about 5 dogs just WAITING to grab it. Father starting yelling at the people in the park to get their dogs away from his football. We politely told him to go suck eggs. :)

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I have a long list but here are some of my favorites ...

Young couple laying out a blanket on the ground and opening up a picnic basket in the middle of the dog park. We just stood there and laughed while our dogs tried to 'join' the picnic. At least the couple had the good sense to laugh at themselves as they were leaving.

An older couple with the young daughter, all dressed like they just came from church (Mom had on WHITE pants), walking into the dog park with their small dog. Mind you - this is a park with a POND! I turned away when a large Lab went running over towards them with his ball (covered in mud and slime from the pond).

Father and his son playing catch with a football INSIDE the dog park. When the kid missed the ball there were about 5 dogs just WAITING to grab it. Father starting yelling at the people in the park to get their dogs away from his football. We politely told him to go suck eggs. :)
Laughing!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The number one stupidest thing I have seen at the dog park...... an idiot kid bringing his female pit mix......while she was in heat! Are you kidding me??? She was constantly chased by all of the male dogs, mine included. It was terrible trying to get them away from her. Thank goodness she wasn't aggressive about all the attention cause he just stood there and did nothing. Someone eventually said something to him and he finally left.

Second thing that absolutely ticks me off is when people leave prong collars on their dogs while inside the dog park. I would be livid if Jack ever got his jaw caught in one of those trying to play with someones dog. It is beyond me why someone would decide to leave one on, not only for the other dogs safety but their own as well. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I have decided that if we are there and see a prong on a dog, they will be asked to take it off.

I too have seen the inappropriately dressed dog parkers. A girl walking in with a full length dress on, women in dress pants, etc. And then they complain that they have gotten dirty from a dog running by or being jumped on. Really?! You're wearing nice clothes to the dog park? I wear the crappiest clothes I can find, and bring towels with me just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hmmm actually most of my friends wear a full length dress or skirt when they go with me to the dog park...they are orthodox jewish so that is all they wear.

Well I actually have a photo of one stupid thing I've seen:

A dog wearing a very loose-fitting prong collar. I've also seen a few dogs wearing loose-fitting metal choke collars. I do NOT allow Bianca to play with those dogs.

Also, this is not the dog park, but I never understand the people lying on blankets sunning themselves at the dog beach. They never seem to actually have any dogs with them, but don't they realize they are in danger of being trampled and/or peed on? :confused:

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
The number one stupidest thing I have seen at the dog park...... an idiot kid bringing his female pit mix......while she was in heat! Are you kidding me??? She was constantly chased by all of the male dogs, mine included. It was terrible trying to get them away from her. Thank goodness she wasn't aggressive about all the attention cause he just stood there and did nothing. Someone eventually said something to him and he finally left.

Second thing that absolutely ticks me off is when people leave prong collars on their dogs while inside the dog park. I would be livid if Jack ever got his jaw caught in one of those trying to play with someones dog. It is beyond me why someone would decide to leave one on, not only for the other dogs safety but their own as well. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I have decided that if we are there and see a prong on a dog, they will be asked to take it off.

I too have seen the inappropriately dressed dog parkers. A girl walking in with a full length dress on, women in dress pants, etc. And then they complain that they have gotten dirty from a dog running by or being jumped on. Really?! You're wearing nice clothes to the dog park? I wear the crappiest clothes I can find, and bring towels with me just to be on the safe side.

Bitch in heat = "Great Training Opportunity" for all the male intact dog owners,heh?

Prong collars - maybe folks left them on so they could grab something to control their dogs? Would a prong be much worse than a regular slip collar or how about a fursaver collar?

But unless the park rules say so, or it is your own park - I wouldn't think that any park attendee would have the right to tell someone else what their dog should wear??? Maybe better for anyone upset with it to take their dog and go home?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bitch in heat = "Great Training Opportunity" for all the male intact dog owners,heh?

Prong collars - maybe folks left them on so they could grab something to control their dogs? Would a prong be much worse than a regular slip collar or how about a fursaver collar?

But unless the park rules say so, or it is your own park - I wouldn't think that any park attendee would have the right to tell someone else what their dog should wear??? Maybe better for anyone upset with it to take their dog and go home?
Those are all park rules posted on a huge board outside the gates. Our dog park is small. It's less than an acre in size. No walking trails or any areas like that to train your dog (that would be nice though). People just go to have their dogs play with other dogs, not train. They keep prongs on their dogs like they are regular collars, might as well put tags on them. They hang loosely around the dogs neck like jewelry. I think prongs should be used only for training, and if they aren't training they shouldn't be wearing them. It could end in broken teeth or worse. If they can't follow the park rules, they shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
A saint bernard who was selectively dog aggressive wearing a shock collar with no safety off, prong collar that was way too loose, and an owner who was too small to control a dog of that size.

Females in heat.

Young kids, like toddlers, running around getting in unknown dogs faces and/or pulling tails.

Older kids who should know better doing as the toddlers would do.

People who turn their dog(s) loose and go sit in their car and then come out screaming and yelling about the dog fight their dog just started.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Toddlers on the ground is probably the stupidest thing I've seen, but a close second is a developmentally handicapped teen whose father drops him off at the dog park. He loves dogs, God bless him, but he just runs up to any dog and grabs it around the neck to hug it. It makes me cringe; one of these days he's going to grab the wrong dog and get hurt.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A lady carrying her golden retriever in her arms like a baby, cooing "are you okayyyy?" and setting her on a picnic table because another dog chased her.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A man brought a white GSD into the park once who was in a wheelchair for the back legs.

Snobby park regular brings her baby into the park and sits on the bench with baby on her lap, gets pissed when any dog beside her GREAT DANE come up to the baby. Thinks she can get away with it because she is a regular. I can't stand that woman.

·
5,627 Posts
A couple used to regularly bring their Akita in muzzled with a cloth muzzle because he sometimes had issues with other dogs. Not sure which was more stupid.. having the muzzle on or the couple of times they took it off.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think it's a good idea to take your dogs
toys to the dog park, treating your dog in the dog
park and wearing a prong collar when in the dog park.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Our dog park doesn't allow any other collar except a flat buckle. A boxer it his jaw stuk in a prong and he ended up braking his jaw.

One day we were in te large section of the dog park. A car comes around the corner with a dog hanging out the window barking it's head off and kids screaming with excitement. The great Danes there went nuts barking.
The age limit is 12 years and older. Am older man has his 2 grandkids that couldn't have been more than 10 and a houd mix.
He let his dog offleash before he got Into the double gates.
It takes off barking down the fenceline and dogs are going nuts barking.
Meanwhile his kids run into the park and are running around screaming
And the chase was on from there.
Then try got tired and layed down in the grass and had dogs all over them. Then the kids got nervous and started screaming and trying to run away making it worse
They also tried playing keep away with a ball someone was trying to play fetch with and their large dog knocked one of them over.
The kid cried, their grandpa finally got the dog Into the park. We had jasmine in a down stay watching all this and decided we should leave.
Their dog was also dog aggressive
Jasmine also got attacked by a pack of dogs that 1 man owned and he wouldn't call them off he just said they were playing and when I got them off I went on my way and e kept following me telling me his dogs were friendly. As I was trying to get away they attacked her again and others had to help.
They had ganged up on other peoples dogs and he still refused to leave.
We called the dog park owner who is also our trainer. We quit going after that

·
Registered
590 Posts
Stupidest thing I've seen at the dog park: The small town's GSD police dog being brought there by the cop who handles him. When he first came in with the dog, I was impressed. Gorgeous dog. Then he had a fight with the dog over a toy that the dog absolutely refused to drop. Bad omen. I noticed the two other people in the dog park didn't look real happy and stood up from the bench. After they left, the lady next to me told me that was the only dog that has truly harmed another dog in the dog park, to the point that the other dog needed stitches. I was shocked. I said, "And he brings him back? That dog is working with the police and can't be recalled or controlled?" Since he's a police officer, no one is telling him what they'd tell anyone else with a dog that has attacked another dog there - not to bring him back. The dog was friendly and pretty much ignored my elderly dog while I was there, but my dog will never been exposed to him again.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
When the kids were younger we'd go to the river, and while this isn't about dog parks, it's about idiots and their dogs at parks.

This isn't a dog-specific park but dogs are allowed - LEASHED.
Some guy would bring his Lab and, instead of throwing the ball for the dog outside the roped off swim area, he'd throw the **** ball into where the kids are playing.

So the dog is running, jumping, swimming and shaking off right in the midst of all the kids, despite there being a leash law for that area.
So I call the PD and by the time an officer arrives the guy is gone. And the guy is a total d-bag. If I said anything to him, he'd just be rude and cuss at us. Like he had the right to be in the human swim area with his dog off-leash which is against the law :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
A young couple came into the park on base once with one of those pop-up play pens for their toddler son. They plopped it right into the middle of the park, put kiddo in there with some toys, and left him to his own devices. I thought that was pretty weird.

At another park, guy walks up to the park carrying a miniature pinscher. All the dogs in the park were big dogs and playing with each other. Guy drops the pinscher over the fence (5ft fence) and watches all the big dogs chase him. He then bragged about how fast a runner his little guy was and how this is great exercise for him.

At the same park, a woman brings her dog who - according to her - is very toy possessive. She starts playing all with the dog. My dog trots past her dog back to me, minding her own business, and the toy possessive dog lays into her as if she'd tried to take her ball. That one got an earful from me.

At the park on base, couple comes in with a male and female boxer pair, both unaltered. Both dogs immediately start fights with other dogs.

At this point, IF we ever go to the park (haven't been in over a year), I call my dog and leave as soon as someone else shows up with a dog. Too much stupid. Not enough room.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to mention the one time I was walking our of the park with my dogs when I saw a woman get out of her car with her ... CAT ... on leash.

A CAT?!?! :eek:

I told her it wasn't a really good idea to bring the cat in the park and she says "It's ok. Buster LOVES dogs!"

I said "That's fine, but not all dogs LIKE cats. Some would rather EAT them."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts